• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lightning Fast Development Machine for home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    To be fair I'd clas myself as an expert developer but I don't know much at all about the state of current hardware. I stopped being a nerd on the subject when my PC Format sub ended at 17 and stopped caring at all about 2010... I pretty much dislike computers especially having to build/configure/administer them. My desktop is still a Compaq Presario with 4Gb of RAM and a 2GHz Core 2 CPU... I was going to bin it but then put in a SSD and it remained fast enough.

Even the decent spec Mac Mini I bought to replace it is largely unused save for music stuff!
    But you are happy with that you know your requirements and the limitations that go with it.

The op doesn't he claims to want a fast machine but offers no reason as to why he needs it and then produces a spec that isn't high spec but just consumer nice to haves.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      But you are happy with that you know your requirements and the limitations that go with it.

The op doesn't he claims to want a fast machine but offers no reason as to why he needs it and then produces a spec that isn't high spec but just consumer nice to haves.
      Errrrm, to be fair he did say his "requirements" were to be able to run 2 instances of MS Management Studio and to stream the footy at the same time .

Sounds about as detailed and well thought out as some of the business requirements I get
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Azure VM. Cheap,very fast and very configurable. Cheap PC to access. You can spec them to be optimised for SQLServer + VS if you're on MSDN.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
          Azure VM. Cheap,very fast and very configurable. Cheap PC to access. You can spec them to be optimised for SQLServer + VS if you're on MSDN.
          Are you saying use an azure vm to run vs and SQL server. Won't that be very expensive considering the required spec?

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            Take a look at Overclockers UK, you can build your own with them.

I've bought 2 PCs from there, excellent value for money.
            +1 Customer service is faultless too. Bonus for us, we can drive to the shop in about 40 mins too, always useful that.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
              +1 Customer service is faultless too. Bonus for us, we can drive to the shop in about 40 mins too, always useful that.

Maybe the OP should consider visiting them, if the site is "too hard" for him to navigate
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Nope. Give one a try it's free for the first month and if you don't like then just junk it. Also remember that they do all the patching etc and back it up for you.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/tr...AID529440_SEM_

Calculator

You could of course go a a basic machine and put your own copies of SS and VS on them. Trust me they are a lot quicker than a physical machine.
                Last edited by NigelJK; 8 February 2017, 08:53.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  A PC for the proper developer.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/nav/pea.../customize.php

2TB RAM and 4 x 24 core Xeon.

Now, that is what I call a real "Lightning Fast Development Machine"

Obviously, completely unsuitable for the OP
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
                    Nope. Give one a try it's free for the first month and if you don't like then just junk it. Also remember that they do all the patching etc and back it up for you.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/tr...AID529440_SEM_

Calculator

You could of course go a a basic machine and put your own copies of SS and VS on them. Trust me they are a lot quicker than a physical machine.
                    So do you run VS in a VM - which spec did you go for. 8 core machine sets you back £200 a month.

Comment

OP, CPU wise any high end I7 will do. RAM wise - it is no brainer also - get as much as you need.
                      The bottleneck is always the HDD. So HDD < SSD < PCI SSD.
                      So stick a PCI SSD like this Intel DC P3700 Series 400 GB SSD - Ebuyer and you are sorted.

Comment

Working...
                      X