• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lightning Fast Development Machine for home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    In theory he'd know he doesn't need to run DB servers in a VM before speccing the machine

For the vast majority of things 16Gb is plenty, even as a developer... but obviously there are cases where it's not if you start having to run a system locally or work on realistic data sets.
    Agreed, but in other threads he has talked about working with "big data" before, so.......

I'm guessing he doesn't know at all what he really needs
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

In theory he'd know he doesn't need to run DB servers in a VM before speccing the machine

For the vast majority of things 16Gb is plenty, even as a developer... but obviously there are cases where it's not if you start having to run a system locally or work on realistic data sets.
      True say. I can see some benefits of having 32GB for processing some of the massive datasets I have to deal with every now and again. Even then I luckily have access to some cloud big data solutions I could take advantage of, so not sure if/when that would ever come in...

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
        True say. I can see some benefits of having 32GB for processing some of the massive datasets I have to deal with every now and again. Even then I luckily have access to some cloud big data solutions I could take advantage of, so not sure if/when that would ever come in...
        Up to you how you wish to deal with your requirements
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Nice to have MrMarkyMark on my ignore list. Bet he thinks I've been reading his posts

Comment

Nice to have MrMarkyMark on my ignore list. Bet he thinks I've been reading his posts

Oh well, just maybe the joke will remain on you then, I guess
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

for an extra 100 quid or something just get the 32GB ram.

Comment

Yeah... Not gonna cut it when 3 Visual Studios open + Management Studio + streaming some live footy.....
                Ah ok. you need plenty quickness then

Comment

FTFY

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                  for an extra 100 quid or something just get the 32GB ram, its not feckin' rocket science you bell end.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                    Agreed, but in other threads he has talked about working with "big data" before, so.......

I'm guessing he doesn't know at all what he really needs
                    Personally I'd strongly ask for access to a machine hosting the DBs in such cases so someone else can set it up, but then I'm not a DB guy.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Personally I'd strongly ask for access to a machine hosting the DBs in such cases so someone else can set it up, but then I'm not a DB guy.
                      Very true.

All totally dependent on what you need to do.
                      Pretty much where you and I have been advising him in the first place, a real dream team

In all seriousness Yep, you can go for cloud etc. but sometimes you have to prove a point, legally on your own stuff, out of the BigCorp or anyone else's domain.
                      Last edited by MrMarkyMark; 7 February 2017, 17:06.
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X