• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another gloomy Brexit forecast. If you're a Remnant.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    So what do you think about the Tory right wing coup that has taken place which makes "hard Brexit" the default position, contrary to the wishes of the majority of the UK population?
    I think the Richard North blogs are quite sensible, as a Remainer.
    What right wing couple?

The EU has made it clear that we can't divide the 'four freedoms'. As I voted to be out from the nose of the ECJ, that means by the EU's own rules that we are out of the single market. If we continue under the ECJ then we haven't really left, have we?

If you want to call it a hard Brexit then so be it but that's the choice on offer. Either in or out but no fudging.

And where do you get the idea the public don't want it?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Who does these jobs in Japan? 98.5% of Japan is populated by the Japanese. They seem to have no problem producing food without "migrant" labour.
      They are looking at getting more migrant workers: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...oreign-workers

BTW, they also import about 60% of their food...
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post

If you want to call it a hard Brexit then so be it but that's the choice on offer. Either in or out but no fudging.

You were for Medium Brexit a while ago I recall ...
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Give him a week and he will be telling us he was always in favour of the zombie apocalypse.

Comment

admittedly many of them with no idea what "something different" should look like.
            Except that it wouldn't look like the self serving gravy train that was in place.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
              What right wing couple?

The EU has made it clear that we can't divide the 'four freedoms'. As I voted to be out from the nose of the ECJ, that means by the EU's own rules that we are out of the single market. If we continue under the ECJ then we haven't really left, have we?

Quite right too. As a remain voter, I've never for one moment supported the concept of 'soft' Brexit, we are either fully in with our opt outs or fully out.
              However my problem with the Brexiters has always been that they have never given the 'True cost' of what full Brexit will mean. That is where they lied. Till this day they still peddle the faleshoold that if there is no deal we can just trade under WTO rules and all will be well, completely omitting the fact most barriers to trade are regulatory not tariffs. They now come up with the proposal of turning the UK into some sort of low tax haven with all the implications that would have for our welfare state. I ask was that on any ballot?

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
                Except that it wouldn't look like the self serving gravy train that was in place.
                There is an argument that the gravy train will still exist after Brexit, the difference being that UK politicians will probably not be boarding it anymore.

Does this mean that our politicos will focus on the job in hand rather than focussing on getting into the European Commission? May almost certainly doesn't aspire to that, but you can bet your arse that Camoron did.
                Taking a break from contracting

Comment

And middle Brexit would have been preferable but if the 'four freedoms' are non negotiable as appears the case, then we are in or out. So next best is out but with free trade in both directions.

Comment

Will there be a United Kingdom ?

och aye and hoots the noo, yer sassenachs

49 percent of Scots now support independence
                    The Scots are getting stroppy.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by sirja View Post
                      Quite right too. As a remain voter, I've never for one moment supported the concept of 'soft' Brexit, we are either fully in with our opt outs or fully out.
                      However my problem with the Brexiters has always been that they have never given the 'True cost' of what full Brexit will mean. That is where they lied. Till this day they still peddle the faleshoold that if there is no deal we can just trade under WTO rules and all will be well, completely omitting the fact most barriers to trade are regulatory not tariffs. They now come up with the proposal of turning the UK into some sort of low tax haven with all the implications that would have for our welfare state. I ask was that on any ballot?
                      From my perspective the choice was out and then get the best deal we can. I'm not asking that we try and shafts the EU, just get something that is best for both and that guarantees the rights for expats who want to be in the UK or EU when we leave.

I didn't notice the remain side mentioning further integration of a common army, or harmonisation of pensions or indeed the latest proposal for 1 or 2 % of income tax to go directly to Brussels to be used as the EU sees fit.

Comment

Working...
                      X