• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Local voting figures shed new light on EU referendum

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Globalisation' is a mechanism for allowing big business to hire cheaper foreign labour. You don't need 'globalisation' to allow a firm in country A to sell stuff to people in country B.

So you have a big population of people, poorer people adversely affected by 'globalisation' who feel that the current system isn't working for them. So they voted to not have the current system.

Cheaper foreign labour (so a US company with a factory in Mexico, or a British company with a factory in Turkey, a tech centre in Lithuania and a call centre in Indonesia) allows the companies to either a) sell stuff more cheaply or b) make more profits.

The poor man, who no longer has a job can no longer afford the thinks that the company makes, and frankly doesn't care about corporate profit. So he's going to vote to leave globalisation - and in our case the EU.

It would be interesting to see if there was a similar demographics comparison for the Scottish IndyRef voters, incidentally.

The thing with the referendum is that everybody who voted to leave was anti-EU and everyone who voted to remain was pro-EU. However, it is reasonable to assume that there would have been people who were anti-EU but who voted to remain. I doubt people voted to leave who were pro-EU. The leave vote contained people who had all sorts of motives for leaving - the poorer people above who saw the EU as their enemy, people like myself who would prefer an arms length relationship with Europe (e.g. EEA/EFTA) as we are against a single country called Europe, but all those four freedoms (yes, movement of workers too) are good. The UK has seen lots of devolution over the past 20 years, the EU is geared more towards centralisation, so there are polar opposite politics there.

And as for the opinion that "We should be in the EU to influence them", the UK has very little influence. Our 1 in 28 influence may as well be 0 in 27. The EU is unwilling to change, the shocks of Greece, Ireland, Spain, Italy aren't changing the EU. The shock of Brexit isn't changing the EU. I don't even see the EU as doing anything to try and appease the French voters heading towards Marine Le Pen. Leave them all to it and let the EU crumble under its own weight.
    Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      FTFY. It's pretty obvious from your posts you'd struggle with a tough degree at a good uni.
      Sas trolling me isn't going to work, remember I just see you as a puppy that has these little comment vomits. I can't be angry with a vomit covered puppy called sas.

Comment

Surely all that it (the survey) shows is that more educated people are more easily scared by basic, unfounded, scaremongering?

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
          Surely all that it (the survey) shows is that more educated people are more easily scared by basic, unfounded, scaremongering?
          Dominic Cummings (one part of the brains behind Vote Leave) had this to say:

"The conformity of the educated is in some ways a good thing – most obviously, a basic consensus about things like not killing one’s domestic opponents that is extremely unusual historically. But it has many bad effects too. There is a collective lack of imagination which makes the system very susceptible to disastrous shocks. They share a narrow set of ideas about how the world works which mistakes their own view as the only possible sensible approach. "

He saw the Remain campaign as basically living in a bubble - hence some rather odd tactics. I've posted this before, and it's a long read, but I found it mighty interesting:

Dominic Cummings: how the Brexit referendum was won - The Spectator

To quote Cummings:

"The idea that millions of graduates voted because they ‘studied the issues’ is laughable to anybody who spent time measuring opinion honestly. Almost none of these people know more about what a Customs Unions is than a bricky in Darlington."

"They did not vote on the basis of thinking hard about the dynamics of EMU or about how Brussels will cope with issues like gene drives. Millions thought – there’s two gangs and I know which one I’m in. Another subset of the better educated feared the short-term economic disruption of a Leave vote would cost them money. They also did not vote on the basis of deep consideration of the issues."

Comment

Funny that, I voted Remain on the basis that Britain doesn't really have a large manufacturing industry of its own, what there is being foreign companies who use it as an aircraft carrier into Europe's tariff free single market.
            And that if that was removed it really would make sense for them to fook off to Spain or Slovakia instead.
            And that our domianant (80% of economy) services industry cannot readily be exported to India or China, making most of its money from the EU and US.

Could be wrong, I suppose.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
              No, the survey merely shows statistical links between voting patterns and certain demographics/regions/metrics. Anything else is your inference i.e. what you've read into the results. Said inferences may or may not be worth considering depending on whose they are.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

So Brexiters are now labelled Brexitards now?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  So Brexiters are now labelled Brexitards now?
                  Dunno. Let's see if they are or not by answering this simple question.

Is the current growth rate of the U.K. due to:

1. The fundamental and long term strength of the UK economy compared with Europe

Or

2. A QE, low interest fuelled, cheap money short-lived consumer splurge

?
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
                    Does I want 27 other countries to be able to tell the UK what its laws should be?

Yes, that's difficult.
                    You obviously would prefer the USA to determine trade deals with the UK whereby the rules and disputes will be adjudicated by the USA. The UK will be crushed as it has nothing to offer the rest of the world other than rain water. To have a say in Europe is better than no say at all.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                      Sas trolling me isn't going to work, remember I just see you as a puppy that has these little comment vomits. I can't be angry with a vomit covered puppy called sas.
                      Not trolling. just stating facts. Yor verbal diarrhoea doesn't alter the fact that you're a cretin.

HTH. BIKIW?
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X