• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Local voting figures shed new light on EU referendum

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Does a degree make you better informed?
    See above. A rigorous degree makes it more likely that you can evaluate complicated concepts.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

I remember still the conversation my guidance teacher had with me midway through high-school. 'Consider your time here as if taking the car to the petrol station. The more you fill it up the further you'll go' Never have I forgotten those words.

Now I drive a fancy German car. Dam think drinks like a fish.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        Also as we know a lot the intellectual cream (e.g. those in with academic careers) are very left and did vote to remain.
        Is CUK an intellectual cesspit?

Do the lumpy bits float to the top?

I see a ban imminent in my future....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          So thick people should not be allowed to vote?
          Straight bananas Perhaps stopping people reading right wing media might help somewhat though...
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

no sorry to pop anyones bubble but a 25 year old who has only ever lived with his mum and in student accommodation may have a degree so may be better 'educated' but the 40 year old bloke has well 15 years more adult experience which is worth more than any degree.

Bollux.
            A 40 year old bloke who has never travelled, worked in a dull brain-dead job in his local town all his life and never read a book is not likely to have more worthwhile experience than many 25 year olds who have done more.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Also as we know a lot the intellectual cream (e.g. those in with academic careers) are very left and did vote to remain.
              Yes, those with higher education have been shown to lean to the left rather than left leaning seeking higher education, as you suggest.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                Bollux.
                A 40 year old bloke who has never travelled, worked in a dull brain-dead job in his local town all his life and never read a book is not likely to have more worthwhile experience than many 25 year olds who have done more.
                But this 40-year-old is far more likely to have been at the thick end of problems caused by uncontrolled immigration.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                  But this 40-year-old is far more likely to have been at the thick end of problems caused by uncontrolled immigration.
                  When you listen to people complaining about EU immigration, most of the problems they complain about have nothing to do with EU immigration.

The leave vote was equivalent to changing the wheels on a car when the engine was broken. In fact the strongest leave vote was in areas with very little migration.

An example is Manchester that votes remain, lot of immigrants, and Wigan strongly leave, virtually no immigrants. That pattern is repeated all over the country. The strain on the NHS in Wigan is caused by a huge increase in the number of old people.
                  Last edited by BlasterBates; 6 February 2017, 11:23.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    When you listen to people complaining about EU immigration, most of the problems they complain about have nothing to do with EU immigration.

The leave vote was equivalent to changing the wheels on a car when the engine was broken.
                    It's a combination of things. What I was highlighting is those in poorer areas are more likely to be directly affected by immigration and factors associated with the large increase in population of which EU's open borders contributed. And given you voted remain, how do you know what made people vote leave? Moreover, it's little changes that can have a big effect. Romanian begging gangs - of which there were none ten years ago - are now an obvious problem where I am.

Comment

Levers voted the way the did to give the establishment a kick in the teeth. You don't even need an education to understand that.
                      Last edited by scooterscot; 6 February 2017, 11:40.

Comment

Working...
                      X