• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Local voting figures shed new light on EU referendum

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Levers voted the way the did to give the established a kick in the teeth. You don't even need an education to understand that.
    I don't remember that crossing my mind nor all the others I know.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
      It's a combination of things. What I was highlighting is those in poorer areas are more likely to be directly affected by immigration and factors associated with the large increase in population of which EU's open borders contributed. And given you voted remain, how do you know what made people vote leave? Moreover, it's little changes that can have a big effect. Romanian begging gangs - of which there were none ten years ago - are now an obvious problem where I am.
      One thing that won't change is that criminals don't respect treaties, Romanian begging gangs don't need visas they'll still be there after Britain has left the EU. The fact that Russia or Ukraine isn't in the EU doesn't stop them pinching cars in Germany.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Views of people like Guy Verhofstadt, as expressed here on last Wednesday's BBC HARDtalk:

Guy Verhofstadt - BBC's HARDtalk

,were more of a reason. Federal Europe - no thanks. Mr. Verhofstadt's best quote - from memory:

"I race a 1950s right-hand-driver Aston Martin. What can be more British than that?"

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          One thing that won't change is that criminals don't respect treaties, Romanian begging gangs don't need visas they'll still be there after Britain has left the EU. The fact that Russia or Ukraine isn't in the EU doesn't stop them pinching cars in Germany.
          We'll that's alright then.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Bollux.
            A 40 year old bloke who has never travelled, worked in a dull brain-dead job in his local town all his life and never read a book is not likely to have more worthwhile experience than many 25 year olds who have done more.
            He is, however, more likely to have seen the effects of uncontrolled migration especially in keeping his wages low.
            But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

However when found they can't be deported.

Romania and Bulgaria EU migration restrictions lifted - BBC News

All the objections seem to be its not possible to stop people crossing Europe. However it is possible to stop them coming into the UK and deport the ones we don't want.

Maybe some of these should be deported?

https://crimestoppers-uk.org/most-wanted/

The reason we have the most asylum seekers is that we don't pick them up and train them back to the country that they last past through as other European countries did and we are rubbish at deporting them.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

We'll that's alright then.
                well the point is the UK government is perfectly entitled to deport these Romanians if they so wish under current EU law. Criminals don't have a right to live in your country.

So voting to leave the EU because of EU criminals was pointless. Which comes back to the point of people voting based on misinformation.

If you want to get rid of begging gangs you need better policing. By leaving the EU, makes the UK poorer and hence the Police will have their budget cut and you'll get even more begging gangs as the UK becomes a soft touch.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

well the point is the UK government is perfectly entitled to deport these Romanians if they so wish under current EU law. Criminals don't have a right to live in your country.

So voting to leave the EU because of EU criminals was pointless. Which comes back to the point of people voting based on misinformation.

If you want to get rid of begging gangs you need better policing. By leaving the EU, makes the UK poorer and hence the Police will have their budget cut and you'll get even more begging gangs as the UK becomes a soft touch.
                  Oh Dear the Telegraph & the Government disagree with you

EU rules stopped Britain deporting murderers, rapists and violent criminals

Murderers, rapists and violent offenders from across Europe have been able to remain in Britain after their crimes, the Justice Minister will say on Tuesday as he reveals a dossier of 50 offenders who have used EU rules to avoid deportation.

Dominic Raab, who works closely with Michael Gove in the Justice department, said that British families are “at risk” because European courts are refusing to allow UK judges to deport dangerous and violent criminals back to EU countries.
                  Obviously they are lying...
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    Oh Dear the Telegraph & the Government disagree with you

EU rules stopped Britain deporting murderers, rapists and violent criminals

Obviously they are lying...
                    Yes looks like it:

Government to deport EU criminals before Brexit using the existing rules
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

It's a combination of things. What I was highlighting is those in poorer areas are more likely to be directly affected by immigration and factors associated with the large increase in population of which EU's open borders contributed. And given you voted remain, how do you know what made people vote leave? Moreover, it's little changes that can have a big effect. Romanian begging gangs - of which there were none ten years ago - are now an obvious problem where I am.
                      The thing it's called is globalisation.

What some of those who voted leave don't seem to realise whether we are in or out we will be subjected to greater amounts of immigration and large companies moving production and capital due to globalisation. So if a company e.g. Nestle decides they can't make money in the UK they will close down their UK factory and move production to another cheaper country.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X