• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Great Brexit Healthcare disaster

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

I love a comedian.
    What British goods? Name one British made/owned item in your house.
    Then count the non-British items.

Here's a quick inventory in my house:

German: cooker, dishwasher, dryer, vacuum cleaner, car
    Korean: 3/4 TVs, washing machine, fridge
    Chinese: Lenovo Thinkpad and no doubt lots of little things like kettles toasters etc.
    American: Apple ipad, imac
    Engish: Vacuum cleaner (Dyson) unused due to being sh1te.
    Is the Dyson actually British? The design may be but the build isn't necessarily.

Same with the iPad and iMac being American.

I have a Henry - Numatic - and apparently my particular model is British designed and built. Though I suspect all the components inside and the materials are from all over the world.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
      It is easy to forget that a lot of the cross border stuff coming into the UK is already coming in on WTO terms. So tulip coming in from China on WTO terms today will still be tulip coming in from China on WTO terms after Brexit. So it isn't as if the EU is a panacea of WTO free trade.

It is rediculously unlikely that a free trade area with zero tariffs between the UK and the EU will not exist once the UK leaves the EU. For all the public rhetoric on both sides, you can be sure that the worst case scenarios will never materialise. It'll have to look like we've left, but there's a lot of bluster going on too.

This is politics after all.
      As with everything in life. Nor the best either mind you.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Is the Dyson actually British? The design may be but the build isn't necessarily.

Same with the iPad and iMac being American.

I have a Henry - Numatic - and apparently my particular model is British designed and built. Though I suspect all the components inside and the materials are from all over the world.
        DYsons are built in Asia AFAIK. But my point is that at least the profits come into the UK. Or do they?
        At least they do support some engineering jobs here.
        But Dyson is an exception.
        The UK does have some world class manufacturing in Rolls Royce, BAe and the like but no real volume consumer goods manufacturers unlike Germany, Japan or Korea.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Any fule knows that James Dyson, the man who loves Britain so much that he supported Brexit builds his goods in countries where labour is cheaper....He could have continued to build them here, i.e. got tax subsidies to build factories in high unemployment areas but he only wanted one place which he couldn't get so buggered off abroad, nice...
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

DYsons are built in Asia AFAIK. But my point is that at least the profits come into the UK. Or do they?
            At least they do support some engineering jobs here.
            But Dyson is an exception.
            The UK does have some world class manufacturing in Rolls Royce, BAe and the like but no real volume consumer goods manufacturers unlike Germany, Japan or Korea.
            Last time I read it Dyson was as bad as everyone else.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Gone are the days of being able to buy products in Europe ,put them on a lorry, next stop Wiltshire, saving clients money and reducing healthcare spend.
              Another crystal ball gazer thinks it's real life.

5% of the profit for a manufactured item comes from the actual manufacture.

Comment

I love a comedian.
                What British goods? Name one British made/owned item in your house.
                Then count the non-British items.

Here's a quick inventory in my house:

German: cooker, dishwasher, dryer, vacuum cleaner, car
                Korean: 3/4 TVs, washing machine, fridge
                Chinese: Lenovo Thinkpad and no doubt lots of little things like kettles toasters etc.
                American: Apple ipad, imac
                Engish: Vacuum cleaner (Dyson) unused due to being sh1te.
                I am talking about the -increase- in manufacturing as a result of the cheaper currency. Started from a low base there is plenty of scope to grow.

Sure we import raw materials, which will go up in price, but the profit, and therefore the growth opportunities come from the higher price of the end sale. So as the currency has gone down 20%, that uplift, the difference, is up 20% in our currency.

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
                  I am talking about the -increase- in manufacturing as a result of the cheaper currency. Started from a low base there is plenty of scope to grow.

Sure we import raw materials, which will go up in price, but the profit, and therefore the growth opportunities come from the higher price of the end sale. So as the currency has gone down 20%, that uplift, the difference, is up 20% in our currency.
                  The devaluation of sterling will not lead to a rise in manufacturing.
                  It never has in the past, mainly due to the short-termism of British capitalism.
                  Having a successful manufacturing industry like Germany requires a long-term strategic thinking that is absent here.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

The devaluation of sterling will not lead to a rise in manufacturing.
                    It never has in the past, mainly due to the short-termism of British capitalism.
                    Having a successful manufacturing industry like Germany requires a long-term strategic thinking that is absent here.
                    Like this, possibly: 'Sensationally' strong industry orders set Germany up for buoyant 2017 start | Reuters
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Not sure why you think Brexit is related to the drop in the pound?

Carney promised to raise interest rates if we voted for Brexit. So we did. Then he betrayed us by doing the opposite and lowering interest rates, destroying the pound.

The reason why the NHS doesn't have the extra money is because the remainiac Theresa May has wasted 600 million so far by refusing to send the Eurocrats a letter.

Comment

Working...
                      X