• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Diesel Scrappage Scheme

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Nothing says "successful contractor" like a +2yr warchest and no mortgage.

You spend your money your way, I'll spend mine the way I like.

Yeh and knowing you could go and buy one if you really wanted to .

We have talked about getting a new car, but the old Honda Civic does not miss a beat.
    A problem with the alarm flattening the battery, once in 5 years, has been the only thing wrong with it.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      A cynic might suggest they are just collecting the fines to help fund their failing pet vanity project.
      Post Brexit though, I'm feeling far less cynical...
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
        That is actually the right way and somehow this escapes the mind of most "successful contractors". Suddenly they are out of cash, dont have any cash lying around, might lose the house etc etc. More and more posts here about PCP and lease and what not to buy a car. How difficult is it to save up 20K, a few months of invoicing at most.
        More to the point £5K would get you a decent motor with lots of life left.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
          More to the point £5K would get you a decent motor with lots of life left.
          get a fairly current one & a personalised number and Bob's your Aunty no one knows how new it is.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            get a fairly current one & a personalised number and Bob's your Aunty no one knows how new it is.
            I got a 16-year-old Merc convertible for £1550*, a free personalised plate (thanks mum and dad for naming me to fit in with a number plate) and Bob does happen to be my uncle.

*it's actually cost me £3K all in when I take into account the comprehensive service and a couple of other bits'n'bobs I've done. Still it's got at least another 50K miles in it and somebody paid approximately £40k plus for it new in real terms.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              +1

I heard that in a news item at the end of last year.

I guess that means the beginning of the end for my solid, trusty 15yo Astra diesel.
              Hate to start but.....

Darren is calling you out Cojak. He's saying you are not respectable!!! I think you need to sort him out

Originally posted by Darren at DynamoAccounts View Post
              Would agree with Alan, if was driving a 25 year old Astra, questions would be asked! But if went too flash then wouldn't look good either. Happy medium being more of a half way house, decent and respectable.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                That is actually the right way and somehow this escapes the mind of most "successful contractors". Suddenly they are out of cash, dont have any cash lying around, might lose the house etc etc. More and more posts here about PCP and lease and what not to buy a car. How difficult is it to save up 20K, a few months of invoicing at most.
                The question is whether it is worth owning a depreciating asset or better to rent it?
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I got a 16-year-old Merc convertible fo
                  Downgraded form the XJ then?

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
                    Downgraded form the XJ then?
                    Still got the Jag. It's sitting in the mother-in-law's garage.

Comment

How the hell does an Astra last 15 years? They sound fecked after about 5.

Anyway, it's 45p a mile so WGAS. Bangernomics is working for me too

Comment

Working...
                      X