• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bit of a technical question but opinion is great

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok so I'm cleaning up some data to go into a CRM , the usual suspects can't do it because there is too much of it so it needs some sick SQL. Of course the ETL team denormalise the data and expect to join using Alpha values such as surname .

Do you:

A. Take the data and format it , call it job done? The data however has links to other data that will be manually changed, when you load it then you will see the load logs approach GBs.

B. Take the data and link it to the referenced manually modified data so changes are reflected in the denormalised data you load for the activities. Yes when I load an activity the link data is the Contacts name . Then get told by the one who asked you to do it (who doesn't understand why records need an identifiable key) & Your Boss who is non technical that you are over complicating things and you think WTF???

C. Get a real job.

Any ideas, personally I'm just going to let it ride, far too comfy here. But it was annoying.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

B

whilst considering C.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

B but create proper keys
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I almost fell asleep but just about made it to option C.
        Isn't this sort of low-level stuff what bobs should be doing?
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          B but create proper keys
          This, with C in the background as MMM says.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            I almost fell asleep but just about made it to option C.
            Isn't this sort of low-level stuff what bobs should be doing?
            The Bobs defined the linking & load format.

Unfortunately I'm doing it because the Bobs couldn't.

Normally I pull it out of one DB, reformat it and put it in their EIM templates all in a query. Saves any manual editing. But someone else did the data for the other templates .

Comment

Sub-contract to EU.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                B but create proper keys
                If only that was what I requested 3 years ago.

Hey the money comes in. I work from home and my Boss is in Germany. Previous managers have understood my strengths, I will probably move managers soon.

My other project this week (The development one I specced & managed) was delivered on time and with the users for testing, no complaints so far.

Comment

Maybe D might get a better answer: Technical
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    Maybe D might get a better answer: Technical
                    hardly I know what the answer is. I just needed the love.

B is the only answer if you are a professional its just my Boss & Colleague thought A was acceptable.

I thought you guys needed a laugh.

Comment

Working...
                    X