• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I let my daughter go on a school trip

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I let my daughter go on a school trip

So serious question.

Daughters school re organising a trip to Dubai for the netball team.

Missus is very against her going due to popular media representations of how women are treated in Dubai.

Does she have a point or not?

I have done some research and seems there is a thriving netball club scene over there so.....

Anyone get anything sensible to offer?

Well first up – does your Daughter want to go?

Think of it as educational

Your Daughter may see that she lives in a (mostly) tolerant society
    Your Wife may learn that popular media representations are not necessarily true
    The kids she interacts with may see that there are different ways to live
    All percipients may learn the world is a varied place & that there is no one true way.
    Schools are paranoid on kids safety (rightly so) & will only be taking them to reputable places.
    Have a chat with your kid & say it’s a different culture, be sensible, but learn.
    Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional

Comment

I'd be switching it around and making her go. Some of the best memories and learning experiences I had as a kid was going away with school. Back in my day it was outdoors stuff and a ski trip and the world has moved on now. It's character building and shows them how big the world out there. The fact they do have such a culture that your wife is upset about is a reason to go. Let her see it for herself, not judge it from afar and have opinions based on parents. I'd never dream of holding back my kids because of my opinions. That's not fair on the kids. Your wife might have a valid opinion but it's hers hers alone. Let your daughter see it and form her own.

There is a massive expat community so am sure it's very popular and and the facilities are very good so that won't be a problem..

I never get why groups have to travel so far though to be honest. Schools trips to the Caribbean and the like. Just sounds like the organisers are more interested in going where they want to go rather than getting any real netball value out of. I'm sure there are plenty of clubs and quality in Europe in some fantastic locations... But hey ho.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
        Well first up – does your Daughter want to go?

Think of it as educational

Your Daughter may see that she lives in a (mostly) tolerant society
        Your Wife may learn that popular media representations are not necessarily true
        The kids she interacts with may see that there are different ways to live
        All percipients may learn the world is a varied place & that there is no one true way.
        Schools are paranoid on kids safety (rightly so) & will only be taking them to reputable places.
        Have a chat with your kid & say it’s a different culture, be sensible, but learn.
        She does want to go - and is getting quite upset that we have not said yes.

I understand about the culture - however will she really get any real culture out their as I am not sure a 14 year old white girl in a gym kit is going to be allowed to wander the streets.

And while they need to be careful the missus' concern - a simple mistake such as not putting on the right clothing when leaving the hotel (anyone with kids will know how giddy they get) could lead to serious consequences - or maybe not?

So my concern is that they will see very little and just be locked in 'western enclaves' and never actually experience the culture.

And as NLUK says why go so far for that - surely a trip to Germany/Italy/France/Holland who all have thriving netball leagues would be a better option.

Or is this all just small town England paranoia?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          She does want to go - and is getting quite upset that we have not said yes.

I understand about the culture - however will she really get any real culture out their as I am not sure a 14 year old white girl in a gym kit is going to be allowed to wander the streets.

And while they need to be careful the missus' concern - a simple mistake such as not putting on the right clothing when leaving the hotel (anyone with kids will know how giddy they get) could lead to serious consequences - or maybe not?

So my concern is that they will see very little and just be locked in 'western enclaves' and never actually experience the culture.

And as NLUK says why go so far for that - surely a trip to Germany/Italy/France/Holland who all have thriving netball leagues would be a better option.

I guess you've never been to Dubai? It's a fantastic place. Some many of the 'biggest in the world' things to see. It's quite eye popping. They are working towards tourism being the biggest draw for when the oil runs out so the are very accommodating of the western culture. All you have to do is be respectful and keep to some fairly simple rules. Learning about those rules is all part of the learning the culture out there even if you don't strictly follow it. Just reading the guides on what not to do, respectful dressing is all part of the learning. A properly organised group shouldn't encounter any problems IMO.

Thinking about it more since I replied I would certainly be writing a stern letter to the school whatever your final decision is. For the points you've made about their age and mentality and the cost etc you just don't need to go to Dubai. It smacks of someone being selfish and going for their own reasons.

I'm glad I'm just giving my thoughts and not being in your shoes not having to make a decision so easy for me to say but I'd still say let her go.

How will the cost compare to this Leeds school taking 10 year olds to Barbados?

Julia Hartley-Brewer's outrage as school plans £1,650 sports trip to Barbados | Daily Mail Online
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I imagine when all her friends are telling her about the great time they had in Dubai she'll be really glad that Mum and Dad got all hysterical about some nonsense they read in The Daily Mail and prevented her from going.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Most of these trips are just teachers wanting a good holiday paid for by the hapless parents. They are dreaming up some exotic locales, aren't they ? The mind boggles. If I wanted my child to go and engage in some competitive sport tournament, Dubai would be the last destination on my mind, except maybe beach volleyball, even that played with a hijab on, I digress.
              Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                Most of these trips are just teachers wanting a good holiday paid for by the hapless parents. They are dreaming up some exotic locales, aren't they ? The mind boggles. If I wanted my child to go and engage in some competitive sport tournament, Dubai would be the last destination on my mind, except maybe beach volleyball, even that played with a hijab on, I digress.
                Just as well, as no one is inviting you, you boring sockie chunt
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Dubai is safe enough, plenty of things to see, but a cultural wasteland.
                  I found it quite dull after a couple of days.
                  For a kid though, they'll really appreciate the difference.
                  It's a no brainer, let her go.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                    Yup.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X