• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So Brexit is a done deal, how are you going to cope?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    About right, but wouldn't hold any cash in Euros either. Dollars or CHF.
    Thing is it all seems risky now. Trump in the USA and their pre-existing problems. EU facing all kinds of worries. Sterling clearly risky and generally more volatile (I assume) as a smaller economy than US/EU.

Wouldn't diversifying across euro, dollar and something else be the better bet, since as one goes down the other hopefully goes up?

Or should we just put everything in gold under the bed?!
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Anyway newsflash - a policy document will be released will detail what Brexit will mean.
      I've read it already:

Brexit means Brexit.
      It's going to be red, white and blue.
      And if we don't get what we want we'll thcweam and thcweam, so there!
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Price of beer is reported to go up by 15% already
        Recurring theme. Take the actual figure and multiply by 6 .

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Thing is it all seems risky now. Trump in the USA and their pre-existing problems. EU facing all kinds of worries. Sterling clearly risky and generally more volatile (I assume) as a smaller economy than US/EU.

Wouldn't diversifying across euro, dollar and something else be the better bet, since as one goes down the other hopefully goes up?

Or should we just put everything in gold under the bed?!
          Diversifying is always good. it's just a case of minimising risks.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            ... Or should we just put everything in gold under the bed?!
            Sas is potty selling his property portfolio. Everyone knows that in the UK property can go up as well as up!
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Keeping most of cash in foreign currency outside of UK banking system
              I'll look after it for you, for very reasonable fees.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                Sas is potty selling his property portfolio. Everyone knows that in the UK property can go up as well as up!
                Not all of it. Keeping one property. But want to downsize and centralise that one property so it has more of a rental market, while at the same time freeing up some cash. Finding it hard to get a buyer though. May have to be aggressive with the pricing.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Cope? Quite easily. I reckon it will take 5+ years to implement. For international companies who want to continue trading between the UK and the EU (in either direction), they will need fairly substantial IT projects to cope with the changes.

Critical IT project, short time scale, reasonable complexity...
                  There's only so many IT contractors who are up to the task.

Kerching.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    Under no scenarios whatsoever is Brexit likely to improve the economy in the short to medium term.
                    And as Keynes (I think) said "In the long run we are all dead".
                    So what are your plans?
                    You probably dont need one in the best case scenario of stagflation, but probably need to be planning something more radical if WTO rules come about.

Practical things I can think of:

Get private health insurance
                    If you're public sector, go private
                    (Both of the above as public sector funding is set to be squeezed under the Tories with no effective oppostion)
                    Get rid of your mortgage if you can
                    Get dual nationality if you have a European connection (gives more options)
                    Transform your BTLs to cash asap, if you have any
                    Liquidity is king, especially of the non sterling kind
                    You forgot the option leave the UK

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Anyway newsflash - a policy document will be released will detail what Brexit will mean.
                      We already know that - Brexit means Brexit!

Comment

Working...
                      X