• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sky poll demonstrates support for leaving the single market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Thought I'd help you out with this as you seemed to be struggling.

For the record, NO, Brexiters don't know exactly how things will play out.

Perhaps one of the Remainers could lend us their crystal ball for a bit of clarity?
    Not exactly a crystal ball, just a summary of analysis done by some dreaded 'Experts'.....

The notion that the UK can simply “fall back” to WTO rules as providing an alternative (as summarised in “no deal is better than a bad deal”) is, in our view, very dangerous. Significant parts of the UK service sector would, under these conditions, lose their ability to provide services to EU-based counterparties overnight. Much of the plumbing that supports trade in goods and services on a day-to- day basis would be left without defined administrative processes and legal foundation. The imposition of tariffs is almost a side show relative to these issues. In addition, the UK is threatening that under constrained market access it would reinvent itself as a pseudo-Singapore of Northern Europe via low corporate tax rates and a ‘new economic model’. We note that the success of such low-tax entrepots has typically been at least partially based on the ability of firms to access markets in their locale, not on the withdrawal of that access. And, as we wrote yesterday, it is far from clear that there is a durable political commitment to the UK becoming a permanently low-corporate tax, low-regulation locale.

Taken as a whole, we do not view the no-deal WTO option as credible. So what happens in these negotiations? We assume that the EU will not seek a punitive arrangement for the UK, only that it will negotiate guided by its legitimate self-interest. Even so, we see a high likelihood of a disruptive and damaging outcome. For some time, we have argued that the bespoke FTA route would ultimately see the UK realise that it could not land the required deal within a pre-2020 election timeframe, while the option of a “WTO only” route would be recognised as untenable. Hence, it would be forced to prioritise a set of sectoral deals while seeking to extend the Article 50 process, and the result would be an exit under a hastily arranged patchwork of deals with some sectors seeing significant disruption upon the EU exit. An alternative (to which we ascribe only slightly less probability) is that the EU offers the UK a heavily modified temporary version of EEA membership to allow further time for discussion on future arrangements as the EU exit occurs. While that may have broader sectoral coverage, accepting it would come at high political cost for May, having eschewed the EEA route at the outset.

Comment

Originally posted by sirja View Post
      Not exactly a crystal ball, just a summary of analysis done by some dreaded 'Experts'.....
      Yes, well they certainly haven't skimped on the "anal" in this particular analysis.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post

Well I am up for the challenges ahead. I am a natural survivor.

Now that it is a fait accompli we are all either part of the solution or part of the problem. Make your mind up time.

The usual Brexiter bollux and cliches.
        I will continue to run my business and move it to wherever location it thrives. If not here then most probably Switzerland.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          I will continue to run my business and move it to wherever location it thrives. If not here then most probably Switzerland.
          Is there much call for Lollipop Men in the cantons then?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            The usual Brexiter bollux and cliches.
            So you're going to go to the country that has the model to which we will most closely align.

Welcome on board.

Comment

Interestingly, British IT Recruitment Agencies are dominant throughout Europe

I wonder how they are feeling and what their future holds

Milan

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
                So you're going to go to the country that has the model to which we will most closely align.

Welcome on board.
                So we're accepting Freedom of Movement now?
                Did I miss some news?
                Oh wait it's the CUK village idiot talking bollux again
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post

Welcome on board.

If the CH model is the goal then great, all the same rules, paying in, and no benefits for the ordinary people

Have you seen the duty free limits from CH towards an EU country

Go for it

Milan

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                    If the CH model is the goal then great, all the same rules, paying in, and no benefits for the ordinary people

Go for it

Milan
                    I think that's the Medium Brexit he was banging on about.
                    Feck me talk about falling out of the stupid tree and hitting all the branches on the way down.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post

Go for it

Milan
                      Whatever keeps Ms May in power and limits Tory infighting.

The only opposition party around that are organised are the SNP and they are Scotland only...
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X