• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unaffordable property prices

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    HMG should be compelled to ringfence the proceeds from council house sales for the construction of more council housing. Sorted.
    Local councils were banned for doing that by Thatcher.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Local councils were banned for doing that by Thatcher.
      Great news. Thatcher is dead!!
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Less demand is what we need not more supply.

Build a wall on our borders and move work up north out of the south
        http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
          Less demand is what we need not more supply.

Build a wall on our borders and move work up north out of the south
          Right on.

Build a big wall and have a big moat full of water!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Then more people in council housing will just buy their properties decreasing supply even more...
            we can stop that now. We don't have enough and if we want to get rid of them sell them to housing associations.

Where else can you get subsidised accommodation for years and then buy it at a discount based on how many years the public have been paying for your existence? The 2 year rental means the rent can reflect real rates and tenants know they have 2 years to sort their life out before they are moved somewhere less attractive. Think of them as half way houses with training not cheap living.

By all means offer council tenants help getting a mortgage to buy the house at full price but no discounts.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              we can stop that now. We don't have enough and if we want to get rid of them sell them to housing associations.

Where else can you get subsidised accommodation for years and then buy it at a discount based on how many years the public have been paying for your existence? The 2 year rental means the rent can reflect real rates and tenants know they have 2 years to sort their life out before they are moved somewhere less attractive. Think of them as half way houses with training not cheap living.

By all means offer council tenants help getting a mortgage to buy the house at full price but no discounts.
              Council housing is actually self funding.

Most housing was built before 1980 which means any debt on buying the land and building them has long been paid off. All tenants do now is pay for their up keep.

However because former governments did funny things with the receipts from the rents and sales, councils didn't have enough money to maintain them properly.

In short whether it is council house rents, business rates, council tax or social care central government screws local councils.

Oh and new tenants get temporary contracts before they get permanent ones, and there were plans to give tenants 5 year contracts. The reason for this term was to ensure security for under 18s in their schooling.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Repossess Crown Land. The Monarchy is now no more than just a fantastic tourist attraction. Repossess the land owned by the Duke of Westminster. Repossess the Duchy of Cornwall - owned by an idiot.

That might free up some capital to build homes for the less fortunate.
                I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Recurring tourism makes more money than one off confiscation of that land

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Recurring tourism makes more money than one off confiscation of that land
                    Can still have the tourism, but they can visit some new council estates instead. Real Britain, not the fairy tale version.

Comment

BoE should raise rates to 10% which will create a huge supply of property for sale.

Plus I can then lease a 911 turbo from my savings interest

Comment

Working...
                      X