• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

On call allowances

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On call allowances

A client of mine has asked for some guidance on how much they should be paying for their support teams 'on call allowance'

Can anyone offer some advice on the current market rates as this isn't an area that I do a huge amount of work in. this would typically be for helpdesk (all levels). Not sure how much industry sector will impact this, they are in the engineering sector and based outside of London.

At the moment, they pay a fixed amount for the days that you are on call plus time and a half if you are actually called upon.

Other organisations that I've dealt with have paid a flat £2k - £4k per year for being on call with nothing else on top.

Any input gratefully received.

Depends on the hours. If it's night calls, I'd say £50-100 per night depending on the level of contractor, plus double pro-rata day rate for actual work done.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

My clientco pays £3 per hour. + £75 bonus for bank holidays. Workdays come to £45 a day and weekends £72.

Anything less wouldn't be worth the hassle of being on edge. Plus no drinkies

Comment

Originally posted by SeededLoaf View Post
        My clientco pays £3 per hour. + £75 bonus for bank holidays. Workdays come to £45 a day and weekends £72.

What about when you actually get a call - is it double time per hour?
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by SeededLoaf View Post

Thanks Loaf, so you get a minimum of £45 for a work day plus the £3 p/hour?

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            Depends on the hours. If it's night calls, I'd say £50-100 per night depending on the level of contractor, plus double pro-rata day rate for actual work done.
            That seems pretty reasonable, they're well below this at the moment, paying £15 for a week day, £20 for Sat, £30 for a Sunday plus time and a half. I'm not sure if theres a minimum of hours paid irrespective of hours worked but that also seems reasonable.

Comment

I believe my client pays one hour per day for being on-call. If you get called, the first hour comes out of the paid hour, then you can start to charge at your standard rate.

For the intrusion that being on-call has on your life, and for what I consider an insulting level of compensation, I don't do on-call. Luckily, there are enough people on my team who do want to do it.

Comment

You factoring in the move from the contractors move from outside to inside IR35?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  You factoring in the move from the contractors move from outside to inside IR35?
                  They might already be inside IR35; for what sounds like a support role, I'd presumed that was a given....

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    They might already be inside IR35; for what sounds like a support role, I'd presumed that was a given....
                    Yeah, most of the time they'll be inside IR35 or permanent.

Comment

Working...
                    X