• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Puts our pay into perspective

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minimum wage is 7.20 an hour (until April when it's 7.50), most of us will earn in an hour more than someone on minimum wage earns in a day.....
    "why ride a vespa when you can push a lambretta?"

As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood."

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      You mean like the self-cert mortgages and the 6 times your income that were being offered?
      That sort of thing and other wacky stuff such as no signature self-cert mortgages applied for online and joint loans advanced without consent of second party.

Comment

I guess this relates to a lot of people who claim to be almost on the bread line, bar the Sky+ HD, iphones, xbox and of course ciggies that they seem to be able to afford though

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
          I guess this relates to a lot of people who claim to be almost on the bread line, bar the Sky+ HD, iphones, xbox and of course ciggies that they seem to be able to afford though
          You go with your stereotyping; I've seen it first hand and it's nothing like that for the people I know.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Teachers cannot teach what they don't know plus the range of loans and credit options changes all the time.

Anyway it's up to parents to teach their children as well.
            Ther education board could put together some things to teach. Lets call it, for better word, a "sillybus". Teachers can teach from that and each year the "sillybus" can be updated as the world changes.

Less passive-aggressively, you can easily bring simple financial stuff into maths teaching for instance rather than create a new subject. And don't many schools still teach General Studies into which any old guff can be pushed?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Ther education board could put together some things to teach. Lets call it, for better word, a "sillybus". Teachers can teach from that and each year the "sillybus" can be updated as the world changes.

Less passive-aggressively, you can easily bring simple financial stuff into maths teaching for instance rather than create a new subject. And don't many schools still teach General Studies into which any old guff can be pushed?
              Finance basics should be right up there with other basic skills such as reading and writing. It's just as important. Sometimes, in paranoid moments, I wonder if it's deliberately not included.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

General Studies A level was scrapped 18 months ago.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                  Then again the lenders weren't exactly prudent. I know of some quite 'interesting' lending practices on the run-up to 2008.
                  At 18, a mate and I declared that we were setting up an IT business. We were still in college, but figured it'd be a laugh - I walked into HSBC and walked out with a £1000 credit card and an Overdraft.

6 months later, now in full time employment (Still with the sole trader/partnership account in my name) earning somewhere around £12k a year, I walked into the bank to borrow £4500 for a car. Walked out with £6000.

These were both in around 2004, so I can't say I was completely surprised when it all fell apart.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                    At 18, a mate and I declared that we were setting up an IT business. We were still in college, but figured it'd be a laugh - I walked into HSBC and walked out with a £1000 credit card and an Overdraft.

6 months later, now in full time employment (Still with the sole trader/partnership account in my name) earning somewhere around £12k a year, I walked into the bank to borrow £4500 for a car. Walked out with £6000.

These were both in around 2004, so I can't say I was completely surprised when it all fell apart.
                    Some of the antics of the banks were a bit mind blowing. HBoS is a very good example. Short version here:

HBOS' demise: How it happened - BBC

Longer, more what on earth were they doing version here:

The Worst Bank in the World? HBOS’s Calamitous Seven Year Life - Ian Fraser

Interestingly it seems it was the mortgage brokers and mortgage applicants that 'did bird'. The big boys dodged it.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                      Finance basics should be right up there with other basic skills such as reading and writing. It's just as important. Sometimes, in paranoid moments, I wonder if it's deliberately not included.
                      The suppression of the masses - keep them average, keep them ignorant and feed them the news that you think they want to hear, such as that it's worse elsewhere in the world, we've not got much money ourselves but at least we're not getting shot to pieces. GCSEs have now been dumbed-down enough to kill off all but the brightest's hopes of a career in science and pushing everyone into meejuh studies or sport science just so they get a degree seems to be the way to go.

If your kid is good at maths, encourage them to push hard with it - that and law are where the real money is at. One lad I know is an on-call lawyer on 2.5k per day plus expenses and the other is a mathematician who retired at 37.

Comment

Working...
                      X