• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

auto-enrolment - What does it involve, and should I worry

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

auto-enrolment - What does it involve, and should I worry

Just received an email from my accountant enquiring if I wish to be auto-enrolled. Apparently for single-person companies it is optional.

So I am wondering what it is one would be enrolled in, and whether or not this is a Good Idea.

Might opting in help with IR35, for example, in that opting out could put a target on one's back?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

With that level of IR35 understanding I'd tulip myself if I were you.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Auto enrolment is to do with pensions. IR35 is to do with working practices with your client. The two are entirely unrelated.

Comment

<nluk>Have you tried a search?</nluk>

Comment

Are you talking about workplace pensions - I got a letter I haven't opened yet - or something else?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Auto-enrollment is a very sneaky way to increase NICs

Comment

There's a website somewhere that will tell you your official start date. Mine was October 2017, so I didn't worry about it, but I assume I have to do something by then even if it's sign a form to say it doesn't apply to me.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

It's a ball ache. I did it for my Dad's company. After studying the various flowcharts and phoning the (useless) helpline, it involved writing a series of letters to my mum asking her if she wanted to enrol to Nest. My advice: write yourself a letter stating your entitlement and offering to join NEST, then write a reply to yourself saying no thanks.

EDIT: but you have to go through the process, and evidence it.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                  .. it involved writing a series of letters to my mum asking her if she wanted to enrol to Nest. ..
                  Not criticizing you at all, and I appreciate the reply, but what does that even mean?

As someone mentioned pensions, I presume "Nest" is some twee HMR&C expression we're meant to associate with "nest eggs" (the things pinched from unsuspecting hens within hours of them being laid!)

Like the hen keepers, it sounds like HMR&C have devised this for another crafty tax grab!
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    I presume "Nest" is some twee HMR&C expression we're meant to associate with "nest eggs" (the things pinched from unsuspecting hens within hours of them being laid!)
                    Yep,
                    New Employers' Stupidity Tax

Comment

Working...
                    X