• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a 2nd hand car

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had exactly this quandary recently. I have 3 kids and also had a dog. I went for a Galaxy over an S-Max as the rear seats are full sized. With all 7 seats up you actually get a bit of boot space too (not masses but more than anything else I could find). If you get the 2.2 TDCI you get about 200 horses under the bonnet and it handles more like a car than an MPV.

It's incredible how few manufacturers make a 7 seater, or even a (5 seater estate which will fit 3 kids car seats across the rear), which has a leather (wipe clean) interior and a pokey engine.
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

b0redom - Audi A6 is about the nearest to a wide car - you might be able to get 3 child seats across the back. The 3l diesel is pretty good.

VC, servicing/maintenance would be one of my concerns with the likes of an old XC90. They may be cheap to buy, but what are the long term running costs? That's when things like a Landcruiser comes into its own. Virtually indestructible.
      You could always go for a Defender 110.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

@WTFH - no dice. When I looked it was not possible to get 3 full size kids seats in an A6.

I looked very hard, and finding something with leather, power and space was almost impossible.
        And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Or a second hand minibus

Must be plenty of these around at a decent price. Never raced so don't have to worry about engine problems.

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Site I like to use when looking at cars I can't really afford.

Search results for XC90 | Honest John

qh
            He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              b0redom - Audi A6 is about the nearest to a wide car - you might be able to get 3 child seats across the back. The 3l diesel is pretty good.

VC, servicing/maintenance would be one of my concerns with the likes of an old XC90. They may be cheap to buy, but what are the long term running costs? That's when things like a Landcruiser comes into its own. Virtually indestructible.
              You could always go for a Defender 110.
              2010 old or because it's an older model?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Or a second hand minibus

Must be plenty of these around at a decent price. Never raced so don't have to worry about engine problems.

Most people who passed their test after 1st January 1997 won't have D1 grandfathered in on their licence
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  Most people who passed their test after 1st January 1997 won't have D1 grandfathered in on their licence
                  Really? Blimey. Just checked mine and the only things I can't drive are lorries and buses. Amazing what 4 driving lessons allowed you to do back in the day huh...
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The wife fancies a Mercedes Vito next time, not quite a minibus and with 9 seats most people can drive it. Very popular with Taxi drivers apparently.

New Mercedes Vito Tourer 2015 review | Auto Express

Its a Merc so reassuringly expensive.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

OP - you either want a 4x4 or SUV.

If 4x4 then the XC90 is not a bad choice. If you like a dressed vehicle, go with R-Design. The diesels a perfectly fine and you seek a D5. The only real petrol worth mentioning is the V8 but they like a drink and are as rare as hens teeth.

Lots use a roof box and it suits the XC90 if using all 7 seats. The rear 2 on the Volvo are better than most competitors.

Ensure that drive train works properly - all cars have foibles and this is the XC90 one. The forums allow you how to check. If unsure, buy from a decent dealer. Do not let this foible put you off a perfectly good car as most sorted with better designed "metalwork".

You may want to find a 185bhp example cf 163.

Old design - yes.But ask yourself why is was so successful for so long.

Comment

Working...
                      X