• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dodgy interview practices? What would you do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dodgy interview practices? What would you do?

A company contacted me via LinkedIn with a job opportunity - and said I needed to visit them for 3 days in Amsterdam, which was an intensive grilling from morning to nighttime by all members of staff. When I got home, they said congratulations we would like to offer you the job. But first we need you to come back for a further 4 days. I said no to this.
    I requested the salary package, and they only gave a range, and said the salary level is dependent on how you complete a "little assignment".
    On Monday this week, they sent me an email, with a demand - the "little assignment" - to outline a 12 month strategy for their retail client, with powerpoint slides, and marketing, technology, innovation recommendations - and that I had 4 days to complete it, and would need to then present it to them on Friday via Skype. I now realise they were planning to ambush me on that further 4 day visit that they requested. Well, I was travelling from Monday-Thursday (interviewing with other companies)...but I was pretty shocked at what they were expecting from me - considering I am well aware that they need to present a 12 month strategy to that very client in January - and I now feel that they just want me to do all the work for free. If I say no, I won't get the job. If I do it, they may steal all my ideas, and even use my powerpoints to present it all to their client, and I still risk not getting the job - and I risk being used for my strategic ideas.

I need a job, but I think it's an absolute cheek what they are asking me to do. I need to reply diplomatically - how would you respond to this? Would you do it? (work 4-5 days for no pay when you have a 16 year history in your field, and are a well recommended professional in your field?)

Thanks for your constructive thoughts.
    Last edited by ECommerceConsultant; 8 December 2016, 13:17.

Tell them you are happy to come for the four days assessment, but only if they cover all your expenses, and pay you €1000 a day - on the basis that the work that you will be doing for them in those four days is of value to their company.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I wouldn't even worry about being polite. Tell them you are not interested.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        Tell them you are happy to come for the four days assessment, but only if they cover all your expenses, and pay you €1000 a day - on the basis that the work that you will be doing for them in those four days is of value to their company.
        This - while you may be looking for a job as there is value for them in doing this work you want to receive appropriate recompense for the work and given that there is no job currently existing it has to be at your usual commercial rates for prioritized freelance work.

However they also seem to be utter cowboys so bill as much as you can and don't expect any job to appear at the end of it.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Depends how desperate you are to take a punt like this. Sounds like they want free work, might pay off but I get the impression from your description that they are using you.

In the past I did a one day free assignment and it was a tulipty place to work. I only did the free day because the agent dropped it on me last minute, never again.

Comment

They do sound a right dodgy bunch, i wouldn't do any more work for them unless they pay in advance as what guarantee have you got that they will pay you.

Comment

Originally posted by ECommerceConsultant View Post
              A company contacted me via LinkedIn with a job offer - and said I needed to visit them for 3 days in Amsterdam, which was an intensive grilling from morning to nighttime by all members of staff. When I got home, they said congratulations we would like to offer you the job. But first we need you to come back for a further 4 days. I said no to this.
              I requested the salary package, and they only gave a range, and said the salary level is dependent on how you complete a "little assignment".
              They contacted you with a job offer without speaking to you or interviewing - do you mean a job opportunity ?

I would politely say no as there are too many unknowns and hoops you are being expected to jump through.

Comment

Agree with NAT.

Thank them for their interest and your daily consultancy rates are 3-4 * normal daily + reasonable expenses.

I don't think its a job. Possibly if they are Gartner or Oracle they might be but I think they give a written plan for interviews. Did they pay expenses?

Forbes Welcome - the-25-companies-that-give-the-most-difficult-job-interviews

I had 4 interviews once for a job, they then tried to offer me (and a colleague who unknown to me who had applied as well) less money than we were currently earning, not impressed. If they want to offer you the job they should know what you are worth by now.

There are companies that screw you about.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

OTOH, if this was for a permie role were they one of these companies ?
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    OTOH, if this was for a permie role were they one of these companies ?
                    is there an echo in here?
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X