• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dodgy interview practices? What would you do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have to think about whether you'd want to work for this consultancy on a permanent basis, considering how you already feel about them and how they're treating you.

Their uncouth recruitment process seems to depend to them winning this contract in January. Like many consultancies, they will hire and fire as and when they win/lose/finish client projects.

Comment

OK, I've written to them, and said that I am fully aware that they need to do the strategic planning for the retail client in January, and I find it quite extraordinary that they've asked me to do this work as part of an interview process. I've also said I'd love to get involved in this strategic planning and drive it forward, but it would need to be a paid assignment at an agreed day rate, plus expenses with a written contract in place.

So, does the UK contract market seem a bit crap at the moment? A few months ago, pre-referendum, I would do a jobserve search and get about 30-80 relevant hits. Now I get 6, and they are not even my skill set.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
        You have to think about whether you'd want to work for this consultancy on a permanent basis, considering how you already feel about them and how they're treating you.

Their uncouth recruitment process seems to depend to them winning this contract in January. Like many consultancies, they will hire and fire as and when they win/lose/finish client projects.
        Yes that is a good point ChimpMaster, they do hire and fire according to winning / losing contracts - I hadn't thought about that. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
          This time of year is always quiet for obvious reasons and should ramp up in the new year. BREXIT has had no direct impact on contract work(imho), although the market was slow in Sept/Oct and picked up a lot during last month. What I would say is don't force the job (I have made that mistake before), make sure you find what is right for you.
          Yes, you are right about not forcing it. I absolutely want the right job. It's just annoying that their delays and tactics have taken me from mid-November into almost mid-December, right into a downtime in the market. I was gutted yesterday, I went for a freelance consultant role at a major UK retailer on Tuesday, and I just heard I didn't get it. I was hoping I'd be able to tell the Amsterdam job to take a hike based on a new well paid contract...but it didn't work out that way sadly. Thanks for the update on the market conditions, that is helpful to know.

Comment

Originally posted by ECommerceConsultant View Post
            OK, I've written to them, and said that I am fully aware that they need to do the strategic planning for the retail client in January, and I find it quite extraordinary that they've asked me to do this work as part of an interview process. I've also said I'd love to get involved in this strategic planning and drive it forward, but it would need to be a paid assignment at an agreed day rate, plus expenses with a written contract in place.

So, does the UK contract market seem a bit crap at the moment? A few months ago, pre-referendum, I would do a jobserve search and get about 30-80 relevant hits. Now I get 6, and they are not even my skill set.
            On a pure like for like basis there are approx 2,000 more jobs on jobserve than in April. No idea if your market is good or not. Jobserve isn't the only site these days.

p.s. I would tell your prospective clients to sod off, after I had stopped laughing of course.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
              On a pure like for like basis there are approx 2,000 more jobs on jobserve than in April. No idea if your market is good or not. Jobserve isn't the only site these days.

p.s. I would tell your prospective clients to sod off, after I had stopped laughing of course.
              "2000 more jobs" right now in Dec - compared with April you mean? I've been looking at Jobserve and CWJobs... are there any other good ones that you'd recommend? I've been out of the UK for 2.5 years, so any tips would be helpful

Comment

"2000 more jobs" right now in Dec - compared with April you mean? I've been looking at Jobserve and CWJobs... are there any other good ones that you'd recommend? I've been out of the UK for 2.5 years, so any tips would be helpful
                The only reason I know the stat. above is that I had a quick look back then before taking current contract, (hence April rather than any other time). .

I always look at the total of jobs as a comparative for how the market is although many of that number are duplicate / triplicate. The highest I have seen on jobserve is 41k. The lowest is 11k.

No idea about your industry but as long as it isn't SAS then you should be fine, at least in the NY.

Comment

Indeed is a good one.

I also feel the market is very quiet. I was getting bombarded with decent permie jobs this past spring/summer - jobs that I would have been tempted for had I not been in a contract - and then since August it just went dead. Pretty much completely dead.

Not that I'm looking but it's always nice to know there's stuff out there.

Comment

Mate why are you even still talking to this bunch of sharks!
                    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Yes, they paid expenses for me to go there for the three days. They are a small company, fairly unknown. They made it clear that they are very technically focused and they don't have anyone who could do the strategic client work for their retail clients. One of the employees over lunch one day told me that in January they have to do this big strategic piece for their client.
                      Then, coincidentally I get the request to create this strategic plan for this client. I wonder if they even know that their employee told me this work is due in January. I did like them but all of this has put me off - including their demand that I go for a further 4 days, I mean how long does it take to decide if you want someone to join your company or not? Normally 2-3 one hour interviews are ample. Not 3 days of intensive interviewing, plus personal assessments over evening dinners and at lunch etc.

That's a pee-take regarding your 4 interview experience - what a waste of your time when they offered you less than you were earning!!! Ridiculous!!

And yeah, I've heard before of consultants being asked to come for an interview, and they try to get your recommendations and advice, when in fact no job exists - they just wanted the free advice.
                      It sounds like you've got them over a barrel and they're slowly starting to realise it.

Stand your ground and wait for the money offer. Do not travel, do not pass go, do not collect unwanted grey hairs.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X