• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dodgy interview practices? What would you do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    Indeed is a good one.

I also feel the market is very quiet. I was getting bombarded with decent permie jobs this past spring/summer - jobs that I would have been tempted for had I not been in a contract - and then since August it just went dead. Pretty much completely dead.

Not that I'm looking but it's always nice to know there's stuff out there.
    Thanks I will take a look at "Indeed". Yeah the market seems dead to me.

Comment

Originally posted by ECommerceConsultant View Post
      Yes, they paid expenses for me to go there for the three days. They are a small company, fairly unknown. They made it clear that they are very technically focused and they don't have anyone who could do the strategic client work for their retail clients. One of the employees over lunch one day told me that in January they have to do this big strategic piece for their client.
      Then, coincidentally I get the request to create this strategic plan for this client. I wonder if they even know that their employee told me this work is due in January. I did like them but all of this has put me off - including their demand that I go for a further 4 days, I mean how long does it take to decide if you want someone to join your company or not? Normally 2-3 one hour interviews are ample. Not 3 days of intensive interviewing, plus personal assessments over evening dinners and at lunch etc.

That's a pee-take regarding your 4 interview experience - what a waste of your time when they offered you less than you were earning!!! Ridiculous!!

And yeah, I've heard before of consultants being asked to come for an interview, and they try to get your recommendations and advice, when in fact no job exists - they just wanted the free advice.
      I'm sorry ECC because I know you really want a contract, but do you realise how desperate you are coming across in these posts?

Re-read your posts as if someone else had written them. If you are a strategic consultant who deals with C-execs, you can see that this little outfit is playing you like a violin.

How would YOU advise the OP?
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        I'm sorry ECC because I know you really want a contract, but do you realise how desperate you are coming across in these posts?

Re-read your posts as if someone else had written them. If you are a strategic consultant who deals with C-execs, you can see that this little outfit is playing you like a violin.

How would YOU advise the OP?
        Tell them to go F... themselves 💲💲💲
        I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by ECommerceConsultant View Post
          A company contacted me via LinkedIn with a job opportunity - and said I needed to visit them for 3 days in Amsterdam, which was an intensive grilling from morning to nighttime by all members of staff. When I got home, they said congratulations we would like to offer you the job. But first we need you to come back for a further 4 days. I said no to this.
          I requested the salary package, and they only gave a range, and said the salary level is dependent on how you complete a "little assignment".
          On Monday this week, they sent me an email, with a demand - the "little assignment" - to outline a 12 month strategy for their retail client, with powerpoint slides, and marketing, technology, innovation recommendations - and that I had 4 days to complete it, and would need to then present it to them on Friday via Skype. I now realise they were planning to ambush me on that further 4 day visit that they requested. Well, I was travelling from Monday-Thursday (interviewing with other companies)...but I was pretty shocked at what they were expecting from me - considering I am well aware that they need to present a 12 month strategy to that very client in January - and I now feel that they just want me to do all the work for free. If I say no, I won't get the job. If I do it, they may steal all my ideas, and even use my powerpoints to present it all to their client, and I still risk not getting the job - and I risk being used for my strategic ideas.

I need a job, but I think it's an absolute cheek what they are asking me to do. I need to reply diplomatically - how would you respond to this? Would you do it? (work 4-5 days for no pay when you have a 16 year history in your field, and are a well recommended professional in your field?)

Thanks for your constructive thoughts.
          Personally, I would tell them to do one. They are trying to get an intern by the back door. I don't mind doing a days consultancy on the very cheap, provided it's all agreed up front, and there is an understanding that any future work is properly valued. Tell them to get stuffed.
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
          X