• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CrossFit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rabotnik View Post
    I do a full body workout on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday, so I only need to go to the gym 2 weeknights and it takes just over an hour, but I just walk to my local gym and shower at home so that saves time.
    Makes sense.

I normally train every lunchtime. I alternate 3 conditioning days and 2 strengths days one week and 2 conditioning days and 3 strength days the next. I took the sample routine from Infinite Intensity by Ross Emamait and modified it a little.

In the evenings I go kickboxing on Wednesday, teach medieval combat on Thursdays and every other Sunday so it would be ... unpopular ... if I went to the gym some evenings too (especially as Mrs MUN does Krav Maga on Tuesdays too!). It might be fun to do some CrossFit in a gym cold and rain do not stop me training in the car park at lunchtime but it does make it a little less comfortable and rain makes the dumbbell handles slippery!
    Last edited by MyUserName; 9 November 2016, 10:51. Reason: Removed duplication
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Nothing to lose?

I'm not a crossfit convert myself but I play sport competitively and a load of buddies have taken it up and the results are pretty spectacular. Here in London it's prohibitively expensive - for what amounts to an industrial storage space filled with weights. Mostly I object to the mark up.

Anyways, I think a lot rides on the morals of the people running the gym, and the standard of the trainers - the capacity for injury is huge if they're not focused on correct form over everything else. There's usually a massive sense of community too - I've seen it when I've supported a couple of friends at comps.

If you can escape without signing up for the year, why not give it a shot - it does offer the chance to work out in a high-intensity fashion you almost certainly wouldn't push yourself to on your own. I love my high intensity gym classes for that reason and am pathetic enough to also take pleasure in usually outpacing the blokes. If you get injured... stop.

If for no other reason, enjoy the double entendres - you'll get to talk about box, your rack, how good your snatch is...

The first rule of crossfit is you *must* talk about crossfit.

Comment

I have popped along twice now and intend going back tomorrow. It is recently opened and they are still experimenting with what they can do in a lunch break. They started with a 30 minute session, 10 minutes warm up, 10 minutes training and 10 minutes cool down. I am seeing if I can squeeze them to do a 45 minutes session.

Comment

Just to update in case anyone is interested (it could happen!).

I have been going 5 times a week for the passed couple of months. Several other from my company train too, which is nice.

I trained around my back injury until it got better and now just hammer things along. I entered the CrossFit open games as a bit of fun (I already know there is no way I will win).

I have noticed some changes in my body, I have slightly more muscle and more definition. I have made progress in the exercises but things generally scale slowly so it might just be that I have not hit my limit yet. I also sleep earlier. I used to go to bed at passed midnight and be up for work but now I am a zombie after about 11:30!

Comment

Nooo he's talking about crossfit..
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              You won't need to if you do crossfit. People who do crossfit get addicted to it and often do two sessions a day focusing on different things.
              I guess you did warn me ...

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                I have noticed some changes in my body, I have slightly more muscle and more definition.
                Looking good....

Comment

Working...
                X