• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What Theresa did next

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    Rather than burying your heads you would do well to actually click on the links I post and then read the articles. Reality check
    Here is another one for your list:

German trade bodies back tough stance on Brexit

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
      I'm sure this has been said before, possibly even in this thread, but parliament HAS had a say. They voted through the Referendum Bill by a huge margin and the government along with the rest of the Remain campaign made it very clear that this is OUR choice and if the country chooses to leave the EU then leave we would.

ISTR Cameron said he'd invoke Article 50 the very next day.

So we don't need another vote & for some of the Remainiacs to claim that this result is a victory for our parliamentary democracy is completely disingenouus because we all know that our elected MPs along with the unelected Europhile rump in the House of Lords will do everything to hinder, water down and possibly even overturn Brexit and if that happens yet more law making powers will be transferred to Brussels & we won't have any parliamentary democracy left to speak of.

A majority does not give you the right to break the law. By your own logic it would be undemocratic for the opposition to question the sitting goverment over their policies as they were there by the people.
      Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Theresa May's slim majority crumbling:

Stephen Philips resigns
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          Theresa May's slim majority crumbling:

Stephen Philips resigns

But Brexit means Brexit! He was clearly a plant put there by the remainers.
          Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
            But Brexit means Brexit! He was clearly a plant put there by the remainers.

rotflmfao

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
              A majority does not give you the right to break the law. By your own logic it would be undemocratic for the opposition to question the sitting goverment over their policies as they were there by the people.
              But the opposition did vote on the referendum and by extension the actions that would need to be taken in the event of Leave winning. It was all very clear what would happen if we voted to leave & that's why millions upon millions of people went to the ballot box - to get a decisive result that would be acted upon not to have the whole process go through parliament.

Edit: Ok, my bad. So the referendum result is not legally binding just advisory. We were all lied to when we were told article 50 would be invoked in the event of a leave victory.

And, yes, I acknowledge there were lies on both sides of the argument....
              Last edited by Big Blue Plymouth; 4 November 2016, 13:27.

Comment

But the opposition did vote on the referendum and by extension the actions that would need to be taken in the event of Leave winning. It was all very clear what would happen if we voted to leave & that's why millions upon millions of people went to the ballot box - to get a decisive result that would be acted upon not to have the whole process go through parliament.
                Parliament is sovereign. The government of the day cannot choose to ignore the law and due process as rulers who try and become dictators in the UK learn that the people won't put up with it.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I'm sure this has been said before, possibly even in this thread, but parliament HAS had a say. They voted through the Referendum Bill by a huge margin and the government along with the rest of the Remain campaign made it very clear that this is OUR choice and if the country chooses to leave the EU then leave we would.
                  But, as stated earlier in this thread, the wording of the Referendum bill was that its result would be "advisory", not mandatory.
                  i.e. mp's are merely "advised" to invoke article 50 - they are still free to exercise their own judgement on it.
                  And, general election or not, the house will still have a majority of MPs who favour remain. So any legislation to invoke article 50 put before parliament is bound to fail, isn't it?

Britain is not run by the people, it is run by MPs in parliament responsible for legislation, and the majority leaders of them forming the executive.

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
                    But, as stated earlier in this thread, the wording of the Referendum bill was that its result would be "advisory", not mandatory.
                    i.e. mp's are merely "advised" to invoke article 50 - they are still free to exercise their own judgement on it.
                    And, general election or not, the house will still have a majority of MPs who favour remain. So any legislation to invoke article 50 put before parliament is bound to fail, isn't it?

Britain is not run by the people, it is run by MPs in parliament responsible for legislation, and the majority leaders of them forming the executive.
                    The majority of MPs will vote the way their constituents voted. A50 will be passed. If it isn't there will be a GE followed by a very right wing government.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                      Here is another one for your list:

German trade bodies back tough stance on Brexit

That's 3 weeks old. Can you muppets please keep up.

Comment

Working...
                      X