• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you splash your hard earned contract income?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    How do you know she isn't. With some smart investing you can have a decent living and save for the future. Just saying this person splashes it out on this and that means absolutely nothing.
    Errrr...because I know her really well and she's admitted to never being a saver? there's a lot more I could have said about her but its a bit cheeky to focus on someone else.
    Now, if you have any good advice on investing I'd be glad to hear it.

Comment

Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post
      Errrr...because I know her really well and she's admitted to never being a saver? there's a lot more I could have said about her but its a bit cheeky to focus on someone else.
      Now, if you have any good advice on investing I'd be glad to hear it.
      Don't get your hopes up.

Comment

Used to splurge all my earnings away until around the age of 27 or 28.

Then got married and started saving.

In my mid 30s started investing.

In my early 40s now and can (hopefully) pretty much stop working, with some adjustments to life i.e. not having to fund our kids through private schools ...and of course not having any more kids!

Have probably saved around 60% of my contracting income at a very rough guess.

Have been pretty frugal over the years but it's been a means to an end. I know I won't be contracting much longer and the whole objective was to buy my freedom from the rat race, so that target is now here. We've still had some great holidays and the house is nice but could do with a Porsche or Maserati to fulfil one of my core material desires. But otherwise, as many here have said, it's about experiences and certainly for me it's about time, time and freedom that I can choose to spend with my kids or with friends (and perhaps the wife ).

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          Don't get your hopes up.
          I won't.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            So are you on the sick now?
            Told you been in contract over 3 years. Since last time you were funny approx....
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Interesting to note how many have got bugger all pension.....
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                I think that's what I call my BTL
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  Indeed. Many don't have pensions but some have other investment for retirement that's not a pension.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    Property Portfolio I think it's called these days.
                    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

Me.

I could blither on with excuses about being a single parent, having to pay back my ex's debt, buying and renovating a house (well, I just did) but I think for some reason I've just put off being sensible and thinking seriously about my own future. Plus I don't really get all this stuff about pensions and investing, so probably need to find a very good advisor.
                      Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                      +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Working...
                      X