• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

OK had enough

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    If he's fed up of that, though, the day-to-day variety with the new job may appeal more than the project-to-project variety
    Its a combination of being fed up with being someone else's bitch and not actually enjoying it anymore. I used to love creating stuff and fixing stuff. Most of that seems to be best shored and we just document then watch the train crash.

OK I could jump ship to another victim but after 13 years of clinging on (had some health problems - fixed now) my skills are devalued and training is absent. Maybe I have just lost my nerve.

Financially it makes sense, getting Part P is about £2K and 2 weeks as I understand it. New (to us) house needs a rewire and lots of home automation. Estimated ~ £3-7k for the big stuff, I also hate hiring tradesmen as they tend to disappoint. The best are still below standard. So even if I just do it for that I'm on a winner. If I do a little bit of extra on the side its a winner.

It gives me a choice, I don't have to stay in IT but can earn a reasonable living doing small stuff. If I get Home Automation off the ground then £3k-£100K jobs could be mine. I have a USP I do the sparks & the computing.

Wouldn't turn down being fitter!
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      Opening a coffee shop instead then?
      yeah, cause that's not hard work with high overheads
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
        yeah, cause that's not hard work with high overheads
        +1 I'm contracting / consulting until I retire anything else is blooming hard work
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          Its a combination of being fed up with being someone else's bitch and not actually enjoying it anymore. I used to love creating stuff and fixing stuff. Most of that seems to be best shored and we just document then watch the train crash.

OK I could jump ship to another victim but after 13 years of clinging on (had some health problems - fixed now) my skills are devalued and training is absent. Maybe I have just lost my nerve.

Financially it makes sense, getting Part P is about £2K and 2 weeks as I understand it. New (to us) house needs a rewire and lots of home automation. Estimated ~ £3-7k for the big stuff, I also hate hiring tradesmen as they tend to disappoint. The best are still below standard. So even if I just do it for that I'm on a winner. If I do a little bit of extra on the side its a winner.

It gives me a choice, I don't have to stay in IT but can earn a reasonable living doing small stuff. If I get Home Automation off the ground then £3k-£100K jobs could be mine. I have a USP I do the sparks & the computing.

Wouldn't turn down being fitter!
          Why dont you start out small, and start out with home installation of CCTV - I've been quoted 4 HD cameras plus recorder for £500. Seems like a simple couple of hundred mark up once you have bought the kit.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            +1 I'm contracting / consulting until I retire anything else is blooming hard work
            I think you'll find most of the people advocating potential earnings from trades are basing their opinion on how much it cost to call a plumber/spark out to do a bit of work in their house rather than any real life experience. Tapping on a laptop keyboard is much easier than either with a much higher margin.
            When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
              What with the cost and red tape of gas certification, the same (although nowhere near as expensive) for electrical, the van, tooling and insurance costs, the lost evenings and weekends going round and giving estimates, the pricing and paperwork for countless jobs you're never going to get. Plus the fact it's a physical job and you're not getting any younger. Conclusion: You are better off just doing your 40 hours contracting any week of the year.
              Easy enought to say if you have the skillset and live in the SE. Otherwise getting the 40 hours per week can be difficult, and the rates laughable.

Never known a gas fitter that isn't working 7 days a week, all billable. Most don't even have time to quote or visit, they have 12 months work always lined up.
              First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

I'm considering retraining, doing something completely different.

Jacking in IT and going into home automation & Electrical.

Suggestions, brickbats & abuse welcome.
                Open a funeral agency in an old town.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                  Open a funeral agency in an old town.
                  Nah that is a dead end job!
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Nah that is a dead end job!
                    Why? Just because you are waiting for someone to die! You will get use it.
                    It's a low risk business and you will have new “customers” everyday.

Other option could be a brothel but it’s an high risk business.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                      Why? Just because you are waiting for someone to die!
                      OMG
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X