• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[Merged]Brexit stuff (part 2)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    It's often said that the public would bring back capital punishment in a vote, but the educated in parliament take a position against the will of the people because they know better. I can see the same rational being used for parliament to vote against triggering Article 50. A second referendum would coincide with the next recession and would vote for remain.
    Even though I voted remain, I would be very upset if Parliament voted not to invoke Article 50. The people of this country have spoken and their will must be done. Where I am quite happy with this ruling is that now there can't be an ideologically driven 'Hard Brexit', fueled by dogmatic Tory Eurospectics, but rather an 'Optimal' Brexit that does not crash the economy. Parliamentary oversight will ensure this.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

No doubt the Brexiters will say the jump in GBP is due to Wetherspoons, Morrissy and the possible Columbia trade deal
      So the £ has "surged" from around 1.11 to 1.12 in a couple of hours. Break out the fooking bubbly!!
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
        It's often said that the public would bring back capital punishment in a vote, but the educated in parliament take a position against the will of the people because they know better. I can see the same rational being used for parliament to vote against triggering Article 50. A second referendum would coincide with the next recession and would vote for remain.

Bearing in mind that MPs are obliged to represent their constituents but not referenda. That again may be another legal issue. The referendum was only advisory, (see Hansard). Unfortunately May has already screwed it up for both sides and the Queen should not have been in cahoots with Murdoch. From the outside world looking at the UK; it is a constitutional crisis of its own making.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

The only real sticking point that Brexiters care about is immigration. If the government had or were to build more infrastructure schools, houses, hospitals and roads there would be no thought of Brexit. For people like me who are horrified by the power of the EU we would be in a minority (though I also believe in controlled migration rather than open doors)
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            Bearing in mind that MPs are obliged to represent their constituents but not referenda. That again may be another legal issue. The referendum was only advisory, (see Hansard). Unfortunately May has already screwed it up for both sides and the Queen should not have been in cahoots with Murdoch. From the outside world looking at the UK; it is a constitutional crisis of its own making.
            Saying it was advisory doesn't make it so. It said in the leaflet that it would be enacted.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              So the £ has "surged" from around 1.11 to 1.12 in a couple of hours. Break out the fooking bubbly!!
              Depends whether the BoE do their bit this afternoon to talk the economy down again. Nothing quite like the fear of a further reduction in interest rates to subdue a currency. If they say "interest rates remain 0.25%, no imminent prospect of a reduction, maybe a rate RISE back to 0.5% in the next 3 months if the economy remains robust", that will put a bit more confidence in Sterling.
              Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                The only real sticking point that Brexiters care about is immigration. If the government had or were to build more infrastructure schools, houses, hospitals and roads there would be no thought of Brexit. For people like me who are horrified by the power of the EU we would be in a minority (though I also believe in controlled migration rather than open doors)
                I want laws made in our country. I don't want to be governed by people we can't elect in other countries.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                  It makes a difference when one is waiting to move £100,000k, but you wouldn’t know about that sort of thing in Devon
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    My humble prediction is that parliament will approve Article 50, with conditions for parliamentary oversight of the process. No bad thing.
                    I doubt they will but hope they do. If they don't vote for it there will be a general election which will see a surge in UKIP and probably a surge in Lib Dems as the election turns into a fight about Brexit.
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by sirja View Post
                      Even though I voted remain, I would be very upset if Parliament voted not to invoke Article 50. The people of this country have spoken and their will must be done.
                      That's the view of people around me, even the Remainers. There is a lot of unease of the prospect of a referendum approved by Parliament being overruled just because the answer was wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X