• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Starting as a contractor - Choose the right umbrella company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting as a contractor - Choose the right umbrella company

Hello guys,

I'm starting working as a contractor, and I have to decide what umbrella company to go for. It's all new to me
    My recruitment agency recommended Liberty Bishop. I've looked a bit into them and they sound ok. I also looked at various contractors websites to understand how to 'move' in these circumstances.

Do you recommend anything else? Any umbrella company to avoid?
    Any help would be appreciated

Thanks!

Contractor Umbrella without a doubt. Lucy who runs the show posts on here regularly and they've been heavily involved in a lot of the legislation side affecting us as well.

Give her a bell and mention CUK and I am sure they will look after you.... If she doesn't come and say hello first.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I used LB in my very early days (recommended by the agency). Based on the agency, I'd not go with any of their recommendations now. Try Lucy at Contractor Umbrella.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

The best place to check is the list of umbrellas on all umbrellas are equal (created by Contractor umbrella but entirely separate). It has multiple lists:-
        • Umbrella companies that are members (LIberty Bishop is one)
        • Umbrella companies that are pending members
        • Umbrella companies that have been invited to join
        • Ones to avoid like the plague.

The question I would be asking your agency are what umbrella company's do they support (any sensible agency will have a list of acceptable options) and whether the agency receives a commission from the umbrella.

Then find the one that meets the combination of cost and service that you want.

But if you haven't noticed Contractor Umbrella is usually recommended around here as we can all call Lucy if there are problems.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          But if you haven't noticed Contractor Umbrella is usually recommended around here as we can all call Lucy if there are problems.
          Thanks guys, very useful answers.

How can I get in touch with Lucy for a chat? Could you help?

Comment

Originally posted by Gius View Post

She just posted on this thread, I suggest you PM her.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/umbre...paystream.html
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Gius View Post

Erm.. Google not work up your neck of the woods or something??

PAYE Umbrella Companies for UK Contractors | Contractor Umbrella Company

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Any reason why so set on umbrella over limited company?

Comment

Only because I've taken a short term contract (3 months). If it gets extended for more than 9 months then I'll set up a limited company.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Erm.. Google not work up your neck of the woods or something??

PAYE Umbrella Companies for UK Contractors | Contractor Umbrella Company

Yeah I've phoned them and talk to a guy. Lucy is on holiday apparently.

Comment

Working...
                    X