• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Autumn Statement 2016

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    Nobody will know what it means until the consultation is published.

I don't think the stuff about "disguised remuneration tax avoidance schemes" will really have anything to do with us (the use of the word "scheme" is a bit of a giveaway) however the general tone towards the self-employed and other small businesses was not good.

Wait and see.
    Agreed, it's unlikely to apply to the typical contractor. The word "scheme" has a very specific meaning in terms of avoidance, as distinct from tax planning. Also, the context of this measure in the AS is a further giveaway, as it talks about extending earlier legislation on "disguised remuneration schemes" to the "self employed".

In terms of the earlier legislation, see Chapter 7 here, which is what I think they're referring to in the AS:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...technical-note

Comment

To be clear, I think that Mr. Webber is using loose and misleading language in the following:

“This looks like an extension to the IR35 reform proposals,”
      To me, it looks like it has absolutely nothing to do with the IR35 reform proposals. It looks to be an extension of earlier scheme legislation.

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
        I do hope you have heard of IR35?
        Indeed I have, been an IPSE member for 5 years old chap, from when they were still PCG. Not bothering to renew now though, they're useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabotnik View Post
          Indeed I have, been an IPSE member for 5 years old chap, from when they were still PCG. Not bothering to renew now though, they're useless.
          Don't you want the insurances?

They are very good for that.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Yeah I've been been paying for the "advanced/gold"(?) membership all this time so I could get stuff like Jury Service insurance but now I don't think it's worth it. I feel like I'm being scammed with them banging on about fighting IR35 but really they have no power and the government are just going to squeeze us one man bands out.

I'll probably end up winding down my LTD next year. I took a PS contract a few months ago in desperation, so if I'm still stuck there in April I'm screwed. I work in BI and the market is absolutely flooded with immigrants as has been discussed in other threads here (I've actually been interviewing them for another role at this NHS trust ).

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

[mal]IPSE don't do insurance[/mal]
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rabotnik View Post
                Yeah I've been been paying for the "advanced/gold"(?).
                Glad to see you understand what you've been paying for all this time :
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Glad to see you understand what you've been paying for all this time :
                  But clearly he doesn't...
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                    Nice try but still a service.

It would be no different than a software developer delivering their completed work on a USB stick by snail mail to the client. It's still a bespoke service.
                    Isn't that how everyone does it?

So a £400/pd contractor planning to bench for 12 weeks per year may as well de-register from VAT?

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
                      So a £400/pd contractor planning to bench for 12 weeks per year may as well de-register from VAT?
                      I don't think so. There's still value in being able to recover VAT costs on the stuff we do pay for and our clients can reclaim the VAT we charge them so other than the admin, you're still better off being registered.

Comment

Working...
                      X