• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone know what Pontefract is like?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pontefract is in Yorkshire and hence should be avoided at all costs.

But seriously, a nice area to live near York and Leeds. Yes there are two big power stations nearby but you only notice them when you're next to them. Generally a very pleasant place to live and cheap.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

I grew up in Pontefract, left as soon as I could at 16.

Used to ok when the pits were open, now its a dump with a town centre full of charity shops and run down pubs.

Don't go anywhere near Cas, absolutely awful as are Featherstone & Knottingley. Ackworth is ok in parts and has a few amenities/pubs with good access to Doncaster.

I would move over to Rothwell/Oulton area, higher house prices tell the story.
      But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
        Last time I went past it, it was in the shadow of the cooling towers of a nearby power station.

Looked bloody horrible.

I'm guessing the chimneys are no longer there though judging by what's happened elsewhere.

Ferrybridge C is not operational anymore, so in time it will come down and be replaced with another smaller Multi Fuel site, Drax is no where near so not relevant.
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          Ferrybridge C is not operational anymore, so in time it will come down and be replaced with another smaller Multi Fuel site, Drax is no where near so not relevant.
          Is Drax the one that you can see coming up the A1M towards the M62?
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
            I grew up in Pontefract, left as soon as I could at 16.

Used to ok when the pits were open, now its a dump with a town centre full of charity shops and run down pubs.

Don't go anywhere near Cas, absolutely awful as are Featherstone & Knottingley. Ackworth is ok in parts and has a few amenities/pubs with good access to Doncaster.

I would move over to Rothwell/Oulton area, higher house prices tell the story.
            Which is reason enough to avoid the place.

https://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Doncaster

A place full of in-bred, piggy-eyed, adidas-wearing, chavish oiks and their orange-faced breeding partners, who all live on a diet of Iceland budget sausages and Sunny D, with their feral offspring running around making the place look like something that would scare the shyte out of Tolkien and Charles Dickens.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              Is Drax the one that you can see coming up the A1M towards the M62?
              No that is Ferrybridge
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I meant for Doncaster rail station, no other reason I agree. However Wakefield has good connectivity to London, 2 hours on good day/service.
                But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
                  Doncaster rail station
                  The coldest place on earth - The wind chill has to be felt to be believed...
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    The coldest place on earth - The wind chill has to be felt to be believed...
                    I'd like to nominate Crewe for that accolade.

Re pontecarlo - heading north of the m62 towards Selby will probably yield some nice villages to look around whilst still being close by for daily commute.

Comment

Areas

Would avoid Pontefract & Cas, if you're looking for something a bit better, as Simonmac says Rothwell/Oulton are good options, along with Woodlesford. Higher prices but much better areas with Woodlesford station connecting with Leeds & Sheffield.

Wakefield station is on the line to London/Leeds, some decent areas on the outskirts like Newmillerdam and Durkar. Don't head east towards 'ull! From memory Hemsworth is also pretty decent. What's your wife's ideal commute time from Ponty?

Comment

Working...
                      X