• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cheap 4x4?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    Pre-2006 is max tax of £285 surely?
    Yes, but you will spend £500 on some electronic part within the first week of ownership. Those things are the least reliable cars ever made.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Yes, but you will spend £500 on some electronic part within the first week of ownership. Those things are the least reliable cars ever made.
      You never owned a French car from that era did you.....

I used to work next door to the Renault Garage with a client who didn't offer parking (which I didn't need)....
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Surly your Bentley is 4X4 ?

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
          I'd not normally associate Suity with a 4x4. More like 3x2......
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
            Is is indeed but I'm not fitting a towbar or taking it down a slipway!
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

I'm looking at around a 21ft GRP inshore fishing boat. The Fjord is nice and I'd like to end up with something like that once I've got a bit more sea experience. Do you have a boat at the moment?

I've also seen people get into all sorts of bother on seaweed covered slipways.

I am loving this here.
              Something like a Merry Fisher? Great boats, fast, comfortable, good handling, and only about 1250KG so a "small" 4x4 like the freelander would cope happily but if you want to go for a "proper" one (and I would because I like them...) there is a "sweet spot" with the ML between about October '05 and March '06 where you can get the newer version diesel (which is around a million times better than the mk 1, although the mk 1 does still have a lot going for it) and still only pay £295 road tax, something like this [URL="http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201609157793933[/URL] - a couple of grand over budget but worth every single penny (and will maintain)

Current boat is a 36' dutch steel cruiser... around 11 tonnes would need a low-loader to tow that (c;

Comment

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
                Something like a Merry Fisher? Great boats, fast, comfortable, good handling.

Current boat is a 36' dutch steel cruiser... around 11 tonnes would need a low-loader to tow that (c;
                Yes, something like a Merry Fisher. I've come over all inadequate now. That's quite a beast. What do you use her for?
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Yes, something like a Merry Fisher. I've come over all inadequate now. That's quite a beast. What do you use her for?
                  LoL - I think the important thing is to have a boat not what boat it is! I had a 17' dory on a trailer with a forty horse Mercury on the back, it was SO easy to tow and launch that I used it all over the place for fishing and just for days out. You could wake up and decide to go to Brighton or Chichester or wherever and be afloat within a couple of hours, it would take me a week to get the current boat to Brighton, a well planned week at that, but she is great for spending longer periods aboard, I've only done a month or so but would love to do a 6-12 month journey through France in her. She has fore and aft cabins so you have a bit of privacy with guests. Steel boats are very easy to handle so she gets used for quick shopping trips or visits to a pub...

Comment

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
                    LoL - I think the important thing is to have a boat not what boat it is! I had a 17' dory on a trailer with a forty horse Mercury on the back, it was SO easy to tow and launch that I used it all over the place for fishing and just for days out. You could wake up and decide to go to Brighton or Chichester or wherever and be afloat within a couple of hours, it would take me a week to get the current boat to Brighton, a well planned week at that, but she is great for spending longer periods aboard, I've only done a month or so but would love to do a 6-12 month journey through France in her. She has fore and aft cabins so you have a bit of privacy with guests. Steel boats are very easy to handle so she gets used for quick shopping trips or visits to a pub...
                    Great stuff. A trip to France like that would tick all the boxes for me.

I live just down the road from Hamble and have recently returned to sea fishing so a boat was always on the cards. I'm booking in for a couple of courses first and ideally want something I can overnight on but will get something small until I have more experience (or more money...). Planning for next spring.

Comment

just down the road from Hamble

-lovely part of the world! I have a saily friend who keeps his boat at Chichester so Hamble is a popular stopover (was there last month).

You've got me scanning eBay for a little fishing boat now... the cruiser is great but she's on the river and I don't bother fishing for fresh-water fish, fishing for me is linked with eating and salt water is the only way (c:

Comment

Working...
                      X