• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Property as a pension

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Property as a pension

City watchdog chief warns against using property as a pension

FCA chief is clearly totally mad.

Property is not the best way to save for retirement and savers should focus on their pension instead, the head of the Financial Conduct Authority has warned.

In a speech delivered on Friday the City watchdog's boss, Andrew Bailey, said investing too much of someone's retirement fund in property could be "self-defeating" as the potential to make money over the long-term is uncertain.
    Or to put it another way. If you invest your money in property, as opposed to pension funds run by City bankers, there is little scope for the banking industry to cream off all the profits in the form of entry fees, exit fees, ongoing fees and poor/opaque valuations.

Comment

People invest in property because of the ability to leverage.

If I could put up £10k of my own money and get a bank to give me £190k extra to put on a global tracking fund for 25 years, I would do that instead...

Comment

Balanced portfolio and all that.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
          Balanced portfolio and all that.
          With properties in Europe, Asia, America - tick!
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

My parents are considering the idea to buy a flat in Barcelona to rent it out, it seems quite profitable : 5-6% yields, hah?

Comment

Originally posted by jessaragen View Post
              My parents are considering the idea to buy a flat in Barcelona to rent it out, it seems quite profitable : 5-6% yields, hah?
              You can get 8 or 9% yield on properties in Slough, along with decent capital growth.

Yes, seriously.
              Last edited by ChimpMaster; 21 September 2016, 12:31.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                You can get 8 or 9% yield on properties in Slough, along with decent capital growth.

Yes, seriously.
                and if there's a garden shed, you can pack another family in and get 12% yield!
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Don't use property!

What should we use then, shares in MFI, Woolworths, banks?
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by jessaragen View Post
                    They'll find it quite tricky if they wish to be legal and above board.
                    They are not issuing any new permits for people to rent holiday property there.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/09/19/ai...legal-rentals/

Obviously, this is all couched as caring about rental rates / prices for local people, rather than the mayor being in the hoteliers pocket
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                    X