• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Capital Gains on Property

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much profit can you make from a bedsit over a kebab shop in Leeds???
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      You're going posh there.

I think the amount due is probably very small but do the time plan and talk to Martin...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ContrataxLtd View Post
        SimonMac

Make a timeline from when you bought the property to when you sold/sell the property and if you lived in it this whole time (including periods of deemed occupation) it will be covered by your principle private residence relief and thus free from CGT.

At the moment you aren't living in the property so you could have some CGT to pay, only the last 18 months immediately prior to sale are deemed occupation (assuming you aren't living elsewhere for work commitments or will be moving back into the property at any point) so if you don't sell within 18 months of moving out then CGT could be payable.

If CGT could be payable you would then have to look at lettings relief to try and mitigate some or all of this too.

Am I right in thinking you do your accounts yourself so can't clarify with your accountant? Drop me a PM if you want to discuss in more detail.

Martin
        Contratax Ltd
        Martin, thank you very much!

I have had the property since 2002, and all in all i think I was not living in the property for 17 months, so worse case it would be 17/168th I would pay CGT on, or roughly 10% of the gain which would be below the £11k allowance?

May take you up on the offer of advice closer to the time.
        Last edited by SimonMac; 8 September 2016, 11:28.
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Depending on the final sale price will be about £48k gain
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            Martin, thank you very much!

I have had the property since 2002, and all in all i think I was not living in the property for 17 months, so worse case it would be 17/168th I would pay CGT on, or roughly 10% of the gain which would be below the £11k allowance?

May take you up on the offer of advice closer to the time.
            So owned and lived in December 2002 132 months
            Rented out July 2014 to December 2015 17 months
            living in it again December 2015 to sold 9 months extending

As I know martin needs something like that.

Comment

Basically, as it was your primary residence for a number of years then it falls under normally selling your home.

Capital Gains is not payable on your primary residence.

Technically any gains you made when it was rented out you should have to pay some CGT, but frankly I'd not bother with any of it.

Just sell it and keep the money, if necessary giving the GF some, if it was joint. All this, how long you were there for is a waste of time.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                Depending on the final sale price will be about £48k gain
                Jeez. Based on the length of time you had it before, and that any proportional increase when you could argue that 'morally' it would be fall under CGT for a few months, is a waste of time as it's still under the CGT allowance.

Methinks you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  So owned and lived in December 2002 132 months
                  Rented out July 2014 to December 2015 17 months
                  living in it again December 2015 to sold 9 months extending

As I know martin needs something like that.
                  That's just what I need and based on that there would be no CGT because the period of non occupation is less than 3 years and occupied either side as the main residence (I assume).

I'm sure SimonMac will get in touch nearer the time to confirm figures if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    Jeez. Based on the length of time you had it before, and that any proportional increase when you could argue that 'morally' it would be fall under CGT for a few months, is a waste of time as it's still under the CGT allowance.

Methinks you're making a mountain out of a molehill.
                    Best to waste a few minutes asking the question rather than ignoring it...

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      Best to waste a few minutes asking the question rather than ignoring it...
                      Anyone with some common sense would be able to see that after 15 years or so, no tax is payable on 48k on a primary residence. I spend more than that on pies each year.

Comment

Working...
                      X