• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wot motor yer driving?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    so real work driving it is better to have a 1.6 NA rather than a 1 litre turbo.
    Having driven Saabs for a long time I would say its the other way around. You could drive them quite sedately most of the time the Turbo didn't even need to Spool. My wife didn't even know that our T5 had a turbo in it. She was shocked when I used it the first time. then she caught on and started eating tyres like a kid eats smarties...

But as for size vs turbo I don't think it matters which engine is used if the driver still thinks the car is the fasted sports car on the planet. I have lost count of the number of total pricks I see on the road that belt around with a bomb strapped to their heads, while driving something small and normally french with tulipe brakes and even worse tyres.

Comment

Had to order new rear tyres for the AMG today.....£435 lighter.....

May have to tape over the "handling mode" button....
      Have you tried switching it off and back on again??

Comment

Anyone else see the Lexus LC outside CW tube station today? Looks very nice.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          Anyone else see the Lexus LC outside CW tube station today? Looks very nice.
          Now you're just winding me up.... Colour? Liking the Blue with white leather seats myself...

Comment

Originally posted by Intel View Post
            Now you're just winding me up.... Colour? Liking the Blue with white leather seats myself...

Yep, that very colour. Looked tasty - they've got it on the Lexus website now too. A hybrid flying machine.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
              Having driven Saabs for a long time I would say its the other way around. You could drive them quite sedately most of the time the Turbo didn't even need to Spool. My wife didn't even know that our T5 had a turbo in it. She was shocked when I used it the first time. then she caught on and started eating tyres like a kid eats smarties...

But as for size vs turbo I don't think it matters which engine is used if the driver still thinks the car is the fasted sports car on the planet. I have lost count of the number of total pricks I see on the road that belt around with a bomb strapped to their heads, while driving something small and normally french with tulipe brakes and even worse tyres.
              It's the ones with the really small (1 litre) engines which are then turbo charged to make it look like they give good performance and good efficiency that are the biggest culprits - you can either have the good performance and poor efficiency or to get the efficiency they claim you need to literally take 20-30 seconds to hit 60 etc

Large engines with turbos are less of an issue as they still have enough displacement to give 'good' performance without having the turbo fully spooled all the time

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                Yep, that very colour. Looked tasty - they've got it on the Lexus website now too. A hybrid flying machine.
                Still no pricing though. Looking forward to test driving one though and seeing how the new gearbox gets on. The one fitted to the RCF was slow and dim-witted when I test drove that. Calling for lower gears took forever. Hopefully the new 10 speed in the LC will sort that out. Not sure it'll be driveable with flappy paddles though, I struggle with 7 gears due to how quickly the damned thing hits the redline so 10 gears will likely render it auto only.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Seems some people are deceived by marketing. So here's your handy cut-out-and-keep guide about what car you're really driving

Audi = Skoda
                  Older Jag = Ford
                  Newer Jag, Range Rover = Tata Nano

HTH
                  Shows how little you know about cars really.

Skoda interior looks like it cost £5 to make.

Comment

Originally posted by Intel View Post
                    Had to order new rear tyres for the AMG today.....£435 lighter.....

May have to tape over the "handling mode" button....
                    That's one of the problems with such cars, things like tyres are damn expensive and depending on how you drive can wear out quickly. I took my car in the garage a couple of weeks ago for 2 year inspection and they wouldn't let me take it away as 1 tyre was rather manky on the sidewall and 2 had either a nail or screw in. So 4 new tyres at €1600 then (and they had to order them)
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                      What we all driving these days?

Passat?
                      Bentley?

Me, I've got an Audi TTS, very popular with the ladies.
                      2003 Saab 9-3 SE Turbo Convertible.
                      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                      X