• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Debt woes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I think people often forget that the publicised £6K or even £9K a year isn't "all inclusive".

I owed about £2K by the time I left university and that seemed scary at the time and that was with the government paying me to go.

It seems to me a graduate tax would be a better solution, or at least a less bad solution. Pay a slightly higher rate of income tax for the rest of your life in exchange for free further education and a grant.
    that is basically what student debt is. however unless you turn it into a debt everyone would just go abroad to work.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      Yes I know it amounts to the same thing, but calling it a debt is an overwhelmingly negative thing as you see from the reactions to people being £50K "in debt" by the time they're 21. Even if you never repay you still have that debt hanging over you.
      If you see Debt as a negative thing when its used for an investment in your earning power then maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Debt woes 'weigh heavily' on young people, survey finds - BBC News

Though I would change the advice to be :-

1. Never get into debt
        2. See 1

Of course, this does not apply to a mortgage as houses always appreciate.
        Student loans? My daughter, like many of her generation, did her 3 years at Uni and now owes approx £50k

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
          Student loans? My daughter, like many of her generation, did her 3 years at Uni and now owes approx £50k
          "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            If you see Debt as a negative thing when its used for an investment in your earning power then maybe.
            More than a third of graduates regret going to university, and half reckon they would have landed their current job without having to study for a degree, according to damning research into the finances of the millennial generation.

The research by insurance company Aviva was published days before hundreds of thousands of A-level students discover if they have obtained the grades needed for their desired university course. In the report, entitled Generation Regret, Aviva warns that many will wish they had never bothered attending university, given the level of debt they will accumulate.

It found that 37% of those who went to university regret doing so given the amount of debt they now have. A total of 49% said they could have got to where they are in life without the benefit of a university degree.
            https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...ing-university
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

These are probably the ones who wouldn't have gone 25 years ago.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

ah now that Chunt Brown & Bliar making University for all was another monumental screw up.

if our top 10-20% by merit had gone to University and the rest being pushed to vocational qualifications we would be better off.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  ah now that Chunt Brown & Bliar making University for all was another monumental screw up.

if our top 10-20% by merit had gone to University and the rest being pushed to vocational qualifications we would be better off.
                  We'd even have had a chance of getting our manufacturing industry back up to scratch, so long as the unions didn't start interfering as they did when they sent it down the can in the 70s.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    We'd even have had a chance of getting our manufacturing industry back up to scratch, so long as the unions didn't start interfering as they did when they sent it down the can in the 70s.
                    Trick is to do it the German way - stick a union official on the company's board then they won't make trouble.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X