• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Job/Contract hunting using Stack Overflow Jobs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Job/Contract hunting using Stack Overflow Jobs

Hello all,

Anyone any feedback (good or bad) on using Stack Overflow to find your next high paying, piece of piss, IT job/contract?

Looks an interesting avenue for finding work.

TIA
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 28 October 2016, 08:29.
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    Hello all,

Anyone any feedback (good or bad) on using Stack Overflow to find your next high paying, piece of piss, IT job/contract?

TIA
    Thought it was all WFH rent-a-coder sort of stuff where you're up against Indians charging $5/hour
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 28 October 2016, 08:30.

Comment

Originally posted by The Plantswoman View Post
      Thought it was all WFH rent-a-coder sort of stuff where you're up against Indians charging $5/hour
      Not sure, seems to be contracts and perm work there, but haven't really looked at the detail, was hoping for a biting CUK review and some vicious ego withering advice.
      First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post

Hello all,

TIA
        Might be worth a try, as long as stackoverflow isn't infested with ultra-knowledgable uber-geeks, "passionate" about IT.

Contracting with permies like that must be a flipping nightmare, but luckily they are very thin on the ground and one is unlikely to encounter them.
        Last edited by Contractor UK; 28 October 2016, 08:30.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          "passionate" about IT.
          Is that an actual thing?

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
            Is that an actual thing?
            Likely to be a newcomer to the sport, my IT "passion" was erased by the pursuit of hard, cold, cash many years ago
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Major fail so far is no CV upload, you have to type it all out again in their format.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
                Major fail so far is no CV upload, you have to type it all out again in their format.
                cba to try it myself as i'm not a dev, but can't you copy/paste?

Comment

Well if I had 2 previous and not a lot to say then yeah suppose so. But there's no place for a Narrative or for a table of skills with their strength. It would be easier to upload it (and at least one site I use parses it and adds the jobs it finds).

On a different note it is currently showing one role that I know is live.

Comment

Working...
                  X