• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interviewers getting younger

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Don't forget the frameworks?

Have you used wankpuffin.js 2.0? Errrr no, what is that. Oh it's the latest javascript framework for cleaning your toenails while you code in pairs.
    Something like this Suity?

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
      I think this is the weirdest thread I have ever read on this site - is it just me or am I missing something ???

Old guys just moaning that young people are better at software development then them.

Surprised there hasn't been any comments about the immigrant offshore teams taking all the jobs from hard working British people.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        Blimey these guys this morning looked like they needed some milk, cookies and nap time.

Does your Mum know your here?

Referring back to coding technologies they "had heard of", which seemed like yesterday.

Stop the planet, I want to get off.
        They saw your name and sent the work experience guys.

Comment

Originally posted by blackeye View Post
          Old guys just moaning that young people are better at software development then them.

Surprised there hasn't been any comments about the immigrant offshore teams taking all the jobs from hard working British people.
          My team has 5 developers

An Egyptian lady
          A Romanian lady
          2 in house English guys 1 is 55 and 1 is 25
          An American guy

We also have

A German BA lady

An Indian ux designer

An Indian devopps guy

The tech stack we are using is completely new to the 2 in-house guys - the one who is doing best is the old guy not the young guy.

But as a team we have a huge delivery velocity.

So things go well really.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

FFS do people actually talk like this. You sound like a right prick.

Comment

Things to avoid in interview

You don't want to alienate the interviewer. By referring to old technologies in order to emphasise your experience you effectively alienated him. You need to extract the relevant experience from these old technologies only.

For example: rather than talk about using RPC on a project, talk about how you learned not to build chatty interfaces on distributed apps, because the cost of doing the networking is the expensive bit. Better to make one call and pass all the data as one argument. I'm not saying this is true, but see how I extracted something useful today from an experience that I had 15 years ago- without sounding old and without alienating my peer group.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                FFS do people actually talk like this.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                  FFS do people actually talk like this. You sound like a right prick.
                  Yeah we have 5 information radiators too.

Comment

Originally posted by blackeye View Post

I suspect you're one of those people that thinks younger people are soooo much more intelligent because they now get much better grades at school and university. From while younger people are definitely prepared to work harder, more often than not they lack the experience to work smarter. I see the same mistakes made time and again with over enthusiastic estimates and CV driven development driving the desire to introduce the latest and greatest frameworks.

My team has 5 developers

An Egyptian lady
                    A Romanian lady
                    2 in house English guys 1 is 55 and 1 is 25
                    An American guy

We also have

A German BA lady

An Indian ux designer

An Indian devopps guy

The tech stack we are using is completely new to the 2 in-house guys - the one who is doing best is the old guy not the young guy.

So things go well really.
                    Yay!

Certainly working in contracts in the major cities it'd be surprising if the team wasn't comprised of people from all over the world.

Comment

Yeah we have 5 information radiators too.
                      Is that ones with post-its stuck on or do you use fridge magnets?* Do you bleed them in the normal way?

(*I used to know someone who sold fridges; everyone in our street bought their fridge from him. He was the local fridge magnate.)

Comment

Working...
                      X