• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What to do if you just started a contract and want out?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Of course if you live next-door-but-one to your client that particular line may not work for you, but the point is you can probably find something that sounds reasonable and allows you to make your excuses and leave while diplomatically avoiding the "This place sucks donkey balls, I'm off" approach
    NF saying Donkey Balls in the forum kinda tickles me. Maybe you've got to meet him for it to make sense
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I started a new contract today and wanted out after 3 hours, actually I wanted out on Monday before I started. Then again it's only 3 days long (*) so I think I can finish it off

(* a couple of weeks ago someone from my agency rang and asked if I fancied a giving a couple of days training down in Saarbrücken. I 'ummed' and 'aaahd' for a day and said why not, if you make it worth my while as I have to take time off from my current one. This then turned into 3 days and 3 different subjects according to the contract and like a numpty, I signed it. Trouble is, the client never got in touch until last week with exactly what they wanted so I spent an extortionate amount of time writing the training course, in fact I'm still doing the one for Friday now! Still I managed today and we finished 2 hours early which meant I could go into town, sit in a cafe by the river in the sun and look at all the young ladies passing by...Plus, this gets me a leg in with another client as they're reasonably new to this stuff and not too experienced and after my training, even more so )
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        Haven't you got some toilets to clean?
        Yes sir, sorry sir, I'll get right on it sir.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Yes sir, sorry sir, I'll get right on it sir.
          You never told us you were on a zero hours contract
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
            +1

There's only 15 weeks till the end - take some holiday, it'll soon tick down and you won't be left forever having to explain a short contract on your CV.
            Explain it as a fixed price contract, therefore the sooner finished the better. I've had a couple that were done in under 3 weeks.
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

They are not your bloody employer. Jesus wept

packet of growsum is required I believe.
              WHS

They are the client (the client of the agency, or if direct, the client of yourco). Suggest you grasp that fact pretty swifto.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                You never told us you were on a zero hours contract
                It's actually his hobby.

Comment

It's this raft of permatractors that have had 5 or 6 lucky contracts so can just act like permies and be happy. Finally hit a contractor issue and the arse falls out of their worlds. Don't make 'em like they used to.
                  Don't worry. I'll be back in the saddle in October. Rest assure the cavalry is coming.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I went through this in the first couple of weeks of my current contract so I can sympathise. It's very tempting to find a way out, but better to stick at it. Builds character and all that!

Comment

Quite often you start a contract and it does not live up to your expectations. This is wrong, that is wrong etc.

You get through it, learn a lot.
                      Expand you skill set "You can't deliver, let me help you with that"
                      Sharpen your skill set "Let me show you a better way of doing that"

In a couple of years, when you start a new project that is really fooked, you will look back with fond memories. . .

Each bad project is an opportunity for self improvement.
                      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Working...
                      X