• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[Merged]Brexit good news

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brain drain doom

Britain's scientists are freaking out over Brexit
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...4dd_story.html
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/07...aise-of-walls/

Some big words in there I don't understand but I get the gist of it.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        In praise of walls | Coffee House

Some big words in there I don't understand but I get the gist of it.
        Far too complex for them. I would save your effort.

It's the usual social losers who have called in for a group hug in a desperate attempt to reassure themselves that someone gives a monkey's what they think, when clearly no one does. Even the Scots don't want to leave the UK. No wonder Sturgeon has gone quiet.

I wonder if we could do a trade, keeping our European colleagues who actually want to be here and like the UK whilst losing this lot? I just doubt anyone would want them permanently.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post

I wonder if we could do a trade, keeping our European colleagues who actually want to be here and like the UK whilst losing this lot? I just doubt anyone would want them permanently.
          We should create a new colony on Anthrax Island for them. We could call it Drearitania!
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by CretinWatcher View Post
            The only hope is it doesn't happen and some kind of compromise fudge is reached.
            Mincebrain already preparing the ground for a humiliating climbdown once it becomes obvious that the predicted carnage fails to materialise.
            As if decoupling ourselves from the train-crash that is the EU was ever going to result in anything but our own long term national improvement.
            He'll come round eventually, a lifetime of being told what to do and think will see to that.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              The UK government can fund 100% of all groups that currently get funding from the EU - because we, like Germany, give more to EU than we get back.

The mythical 350M a week is the money that British taxpayers are giving to the Greeks, Poles, Romanians, Spanish and the all the other countries that are not net contributors to the EU budget ( looking at Wikipedia, there are 11 countries including the UK that give more than they receive, 16 that receive more than they give ).

The question is not : Can the UK government continue to support those currently receiving EU grants?

But : Is the money currently being distributed by the EU being spent efficiently and accordance to the wishes of the UK public? And will the UK government continue to fund EU schemes or direct the finance to other areas of the UK economy that it feels are more important?

With BREXIT the redistribution of UK taxes within the UK becomes a decision entirely for the UK parliament, elected by UK voters.

Or to put it more bluntly. Democracy.

Comment

The whole EU budget / UK contributions thing is shrouded in mystery.

The best resource I could find is this : Link

Basically it says we paid in 13B in 2015, got 4.5B back in spending ( CAP, science budget etc ) and so our net contribution was 8.5B. Which works out at about 23M a day.

Hinkely Point C has a budget of 18B. So that could be paid for by the UK government with only 2 and a bit years of EU contributions.

HS2 is 50B. That's about 6 years worth.

The 2012 Olympics was 10B. Just over a year.

All this and we'd still be able to fund the groups that currently receive EU funding without increasing taxes.

Or all 30M UK taxpayers could have £285 tax cut.

Comment

Originally posted by CretinWatcher View Post
                  Feck me, the usual idiots are hoping against hope that Brexit will lead to some kind of paradise.
                  FFS grow up, will you
                  A proper Brexit means the accelerated decline of the country.
                  The only hope is it doesn't happen and some kind of compromise fudge is reached.
                  I dont expect Brexit to lead to a paradise. I expect it to lead to a slightly better place than staying in Europe(i.e. not decline as fast as them). But it to be more like Victorian times where the money is kept by fewer.

I was hoping that there would be changes to immigration then another vote. Now I am not so sure. Whatever happens next, immigration must be slowed. At least until the UK builds more houses/infrastructure.

Comment

Finally some real hope for the Remnants

The unelected are going to save you.

Comment

I can't believe she talks about patently wrong facts from the Leave side, given that both sides were as bad as each other!
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X