• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lets not have EDF build our nuclear future

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    My interview with their trading commodities arm left me running away, very fast. I'd have beaten Bolt over the threshold out the door.
    Did they ask you to start the reactor?

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
      Britain casts doubt on EDF's $24 billion nuclear project | Reuters

New petition: Stop Hinkley nuclear plant and spend the money on renewable instead | Greenpeace UK

I can see this working out well, an almost bankrupt French energy giant and a post Brexit govt working on the most expensive building in the world, technically almost impossible, with the green lobby fighting it at every turn.

Personally, I'd rather have more gas powered stations. Cheap, relatively clean, simple and British run.
      I thought Brexiters wanted to have new deals with EU AND non-EU .
      Isn't this deal one of them then? France + China. Have fun!
      I am sure there will be more coming!
      Imagine what deals we will have after invoking A50!!! Oh, well! A50 is never going to happen! ... considering Farage has already called 24th June the Independence day, and he has said we have taken our country back!
      I agree with him happily... there is no need to invoke A50. We have full control of our country now! Invoking M25 is enough!
      Last edited by Milkyway; 29 July 2016, 21:08.

Comment

Get Fracking
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Milkyway View Post
          I thought Brexiters wanted to have new deals with EU AND non-EU .
          Isn't this deal one of them then? France + China. Have fun!...
          A bad deal is a bad deal. Hinckley will cost a fortune and EDF will be subsidised by (Cameron's government agreed) higher electricity bills. I thin k nuclear is the way forward, but should be home grown. An opportunity to develop thorium reactors, perhaps? Problem is, that the UK's energy plan doesn't seem sufficient for the future.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            We should print the money for these big infrastructure projects and use British companies, employing (mostly) British workers.

And where we don't have the skills (apparently those that built the first/last British nuclear reactors are all in care homes dribbling out of both ends) get contractors in. Sometimes a permie just will not do.

Aside from trying to predict the energy needs in 20 years+ maybe they should spend all these billions on making homes more self sufficient. Solar panels, mini windmills on the TV aerials, and rain driven mini turbine energy in the gutter down pipes. Only a matter of time before someone goes on Dragon's Den with that solution, if not done already. Then the existing power stations and whatever greener replacements are coming along will cover the rest of the demand, as much of it will be decentralised.
            Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              A bad deal is a bad deal. Hinckley will cost a fortune and EDF will be subsidised by (Cameron's government agreed) higher electricity bills. I thin k nuclear is the way forward, but should be home grown. An opportunity to develop thorium reactors, perhaps? Problem is, that the UK's energy plan doesn't seem sufficient for the future.
              The UK doesn't have any plans for anything.
              http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                The UK doesn't have any plans for anything.
                Not even to leave the EU.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

So you don't think this "Pause" has anything to do with putting a bit of pressure on the French government when it comes to negotiating BREXIT.

I'm sure they'd love EDF to get a massive contract.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                    I'm sure they'd love EDF to get a massive contract.
                    EDF shares gone down when EDF board approved the deal and gone up when this "pause" was announced...

Comment

Working...
                    X