• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Not to late to 'Go back on Brexit'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Speaks a man with clearly no leadership skills
    All hail Caesar!

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      Really? I thought the EU being "undemocratic" was a major theme, but you want to get rid of the one part we directly elect?

Clearly freedom of movement is the clincher. But people forget the EU has had immigration caps before and probably would again for any new members, so perhaps a guarantee of that would help sway people.
      But WE don't elect it. We get a vote along with 27 other countries all acting in their own self interest. That's very different to people in this country voting within its own boundary.

For me to consider changing my vote the solution is easy. No one or body outside the UK has the right to overturn rulings made by our courts. We decide our own laws. Easy really.

Comment

If they returned the EU to a common market without empire building ambitions and a points based migration system I'm pretty sure the majority of Brexiters would vote remain.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
          ..."benefits" should be paid by the country of origin of the citizen.
          For how long? If you live in another country and pay into the social fund for that country, why shouldn't you receive the same benefits as any other resident?

But 6-12 months (or an indefinite employment contract) in order to qualify for benefits wouldn't be unreasonable.

It is crazy that people working here are entitled to child benefit for children who have never even set foot here,
          You'd prefer they bring the kids and suck up more of the public purse in schooling and NHS?
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
            But WE don't elect it. We get a vote along with 27 other countries all acting in their own self interest. That's very different to people in this country voting within its own boundary.
            Well that's democracy, like it or not.

For me to consider changing my vote the solution is easy. No one or body outside the UK has the right to overturn rulings made by our courts. We decide our own laws. Easy really.
            So if the UK signs up to implement EU law, but it's the UK courts that interprets and applies that EU law, that's okay?
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post

Where would you like Tony Blair to be tried? In a UK court where he'll probably get a slap on the wrist or in the Hague where he could well possibly be put down?
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                Where would you like Tony Blair to be tried? In a UK court where he'll probably get a slap on the wrist or in the Hague where he could well possibly be put down?
                In the back room of a Glasgow boozer?

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  Well that's democracy, like it or not.

So if the UK signs up to implement EU law, but it's the UK courts that interprets and applies that EU law, that's okay?
                  That's democracy when you're voting on what happens in the EU. We don't want that to be the case. If we were outside the EU then we wouldn't be subject to what other countries want.

We want to un-sign from EU law. That's the whole point!

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    The Hague has feck all to do with the EU!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      For how long? If you live in another country and pay into the social fund for that country, why shouldn't you receive the same benefits as any other resident?
                      For sure time limited; I would have thought 24 months would be a reasonable period, but would go with 12

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      You'd prefer they bring the kids and suck up more of the public purse in schooling and NHS?
                      If they're living, working, and contributing here, sure why not. Or if I am living and working "there" sure, why not.

I love the "right to roam" enshrined in the EU but it shouldn't be a right for anyone and everyone to move to the country with "the best deal from the public purse" be that here or elsewhere. Is it unreasonable to have some kind of probationary period where we are supported by our country of origin until we have "proven" ourselves to our adopted home?

Comment

Working...
                      X