• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My radiators

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Since we moved into Benger towers in 09, we've always had problems with our heating. Elderly Gloworm boiler, and intermittent faults with the radiators. Several plumbers have mentioned the system is on it's last legs, and is heavily sludged. One plumber said that my radiators were only working at 25% efficiency. How do they measure this?

So I got a quote for power flushing. £450. So I looked into hiring a power flushing unit for the weekend. £160 + VAT + chemicals.

So I shopped around on ebay and got a second hand one for £141 (winning bid) which came with 2 bottles of Fernox, a bottle of Powerflush cleaner, a bottle of leak fixing stuff (around £80 worth).

And I've been at it for 3 solid days now. I'm on the penultimate rad.

I'm going to fit one of these

So there you have it, sometimes bleeding the radiators isn't enough. Once this is done I expect the contract market to pick up.
    You'll still ***** it up. T'was ever so!

Comment

I have one of those magnetic filters it came with my new boiler and was part of the Worcester Bosch 10 year warranty.
      It will collect sediment once it is moving around the system but not the black muck that has settled and is just clogging up the system over the years, you will need to agitate that first

If you are going to power flush do one rad at a time by closing down the valves to all but the target rad otherwise the water will simply follow the path of least resistance, its rather like bleeding car brakes do the one furthest away first etc.

Power flush in the direction of flow, some valves can be a bit iffy under pressure in reverse so only reverse flush at garden hose pressure.

If you have thermostatic valves I trust you always open them to 5 or V or whatever once the heating is off for the summer.
      The expanding wax capsules seem to last longer that way probably by not being kept under pressure endlessly.

Also be aware power flushing can lead to leaks

Copper can develop pin hole leaks e.g. if the water PH is wrong but sometimes down to contaminents as well.

What Causes Copper Pipe to Leak/Fail? - Restoration Piping Technologies - Cincinnati, Ohio
      and
      http://mmengineering.com/wp-content/...5-No-1-web.pdf

A power flush can blow through a failing pieces of copper so check after flushing.
      So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Originally posted by DallasDad View Post
        I have one of those magnetic filters it came with my new boiler and was part of the Worcester Bosch 10 year warranty.
        It will collect sediment once it is moving around the system but not the black muck that has settled and is just clogging up the system over the years, you will need to agitate that first

If you are going to power flush do one rad at a time by closing down the valves to all but the target rad otherwise the water will simply follow the path of least resistance, its rather like bleeding car brakes do the one furthest away first etc.

Power flush in the direction of flow, some valves can be a bit iffy under pressure in reverse so only reverse flush at garden hose pressure.

If you have thermostatic valves I trust you always open them to 5 or V or whatever once the heating is off for the summer.
        The expanding wax capsules seem to last longer that way probably by not being kept under pressure endlessly.

Also be aware power flushing can lead to leaks

Copper can develop pin hole leaks e.g. if the water PH is wrong but sometimes down to contaminents as well.

What Causes Copper Pipe to Leak/Fail? - Restoration Piping Technologies - Cincinnati, Ohio
        and
        http://mmengineering.com/wp-content/...5-No-1-web.pdf

A power flush can blow through a failing pieces of copper so check after flushing.
        Now that is a proper contractors post. Respect.

Comment

Get the wife and kids ( You are an idiot ) to take each radiator off and hose them in the back garden.

Use inhibitor when you fill up again ( more important than a magnet ).

Comment

Thanks Dallas dad. I disagree about the black sludge. It is iron oxide, which is attracted to magnets. Modern powerflushes have magnets. This filter system has a cyclonic vortexy thing to catch sediment, the magnets catch the mobile iron oxide particles. As the system has been powerflushed, this is a sensible addition, of course along with Fernox (as mentioned in th OP).

Minestrone, you are an idiot. Washing the rads under hose pressure would be far less effective than having high pressure water forced through them.
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Thanks Dallas dad. I disagree about the black sludge. It is iron oxide, which is attracted to magnets. Modern powerflushes have magnets. This filter system has a cyclonic vortexy thing to catch sediment, the magnets catch the mobile iron oxide particles. As the system has been powerflushed, this is a sensible addition, of course along with Fernox (as mentioned in th OP).

Minestrone, you are an idiot. Washing the rads under hose pressure would be far less effective than having high pressure water forced through them.
              Could be but there is going to be ALOT of it. I thought those were just to avoid build up. Also using the system to generate the pressure creates eddy's in the system where the gunk collects. I think his idea is much better to clean the system unless you are gonna pay someone to do it.

http://radiatorsludge.co.uk
              Last edited by northernladuk; 6 July 2016, 20:34.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                Now that is a proper contractors post. Respect.
                We have a sealed system.

Filled it with Evian, no problems.

Comment

Classic Suity posting style.

Asks on a subject where he professes to know nothing on then starts lecturing people that give him advice.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    Classic Suity posting style.

Asks on a subject where he professes to know nothing on then starts lecturing people that give him advice.
                    Ad hominem argument.
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
                      We have a sealed system.

Filled it with Evian, no problems.
                      Radiators, you say, interesting, we get the Butler to constantly keep the wood fires burning in all rooms, no problems.
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X