• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Basic income for all?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Which is, of course, precisely what the experiment demonstrated did not happen. But why let reality get in the way of a fondly-held prejudice based on no facts whatsoever, eh?
    Leftie "economist" at a leftie uni during the leftie 1970's....Yeah that's all fact that is...

Bring back National Service, and hanging, public ones at that!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      If any of you code monkeys can code your way in to getting the robotty lass into giving you a decent blowy, then it's probably the best you can ever hope for...
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Don't like it.

If you are retirement age - state pension
        If you are disabled - disability pay
        If you are working - tax breaks and PAYE
        if you are running a business - tax breaks and dividends
        If you are a lazy fecker of working age - feck all! - get a fooking job!
        It probably won't go through, but it if it does, it will be interesting to see what will happen. I first heard about this idea back in the 80s, from a member of a Tory think-tank. The idea was to remove the trap where people in receipt of benefit aren't put off finding work, because they then lose the benefit. People who are unable to work for medical reasons would get the minimum + extras.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Next 20-30 years will be interesting
          manufacturing jobs and many service sector jobs like in fast food industry will also be done by robots.
          Taxi driver jobs will be done by self driving cars
          The only jobs remaining will be robot maintenance engineers and coders
          Last edited by Andy2; 4 June 2016, 12:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
            Next 20-30 years will be interesting
            manufacturing jobs and many service sector jobs like in fast food industry will also be done by robots.
            Taxi driver jobs will be done by self driving cars
            The only jobs remaining will be robot maintenance engineers and coders
            Polish engineers + Indian coders.

Luckily I will be retired/dead by then.

Comment

Polish engineers + Indian coders.

Luckily I will be retired/dead by then.
              What about the Bulgarians or the Romanians plenty to go round
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Sounds good. But I do dislike this view:

"With a wave of technological change on its way, driverless cars, robotic surgery, the elimination of finance and accounting jobs, clearly there is going to be a huge disappearance of jobs.
                "No one can really explain where the new jobs are coming from, so it would be foolish for a country not to prepare for what may be the greatest technological revolution in the history of the world."
                It's a bit like me buying that pair of trousers two sizes two small because of the extra pounds I now know I'll never shift.

New technology should create new jobs to improve efficiency not transfer us to be a bunch of slobs.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

its time to move to switzerland and watch telly and drink beer all day

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    New technology should create new jobs to improve efficiency not transfer us to be a bunch of slobs.
                    Why? If technology can eliminate much of the need for people to work, why not let it, rather than forcing it into the role of "creating new jobs" just to occupy people's time?

The wealthy seem to have managed pretty well on not having to do an awful lot for centuries. It's about time more of us had a go at it

Comment

u

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      Why? If technology can eliminate much of the need for people to work, why not let it, rather than forcing it into the role of "creating new jobs" just to occupy people's time?

The wealthy seem to have managed pretty well on not having to do an awful lot for centuries. It's about time more of us had a go at it
                      Sounds fair enough. However I'd rather think this new ruling takes us one step closer to finding a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

It seems to me the Qeenie is worked off her feet with that hobnobbing.
                      Last edited by scooterscot; 4 June 2016, 14:34.
                      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X