• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Top Gear with Chris Evans

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
    Didn't bother.. sounds like I didn't miss much.

Ditch the yanks and I'm prepared to give it go but suspect that won't happen due to greedy marketing execs..
    The yank was the best part of it!

I actually quite enjoyed most of it, as much as the last few series with the old presenters anyway

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
      Wasn't as bad I thought it would be TBH. But then it was only the first episode
      This. I expected it to be awful. But it was better than okay.

I think it will grow on me.

Comment

All they did was do exactly the same as the old Top Gear but with different presenters. But it was okay. LeBlanc was a bit wooden, and Chris Evans is Chris Evans, but on the whole I enjoyed it.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          I wonder whether LeBlanc or Evans could actually fix a broken down vehicle - like May or Hammond evidently can? (Of course Clarkson would just find a hammer to hit it with).
          You think on those road trips they didn't have a backup team of mechanics and just filmed May and Hammond looking into the engine bay every now and again?

Comment

Of course they have a backup team. However, I'm fairly sure that May has some engineering skill, and Hammond certainly gives a good impression that he does.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              You think on those road trips they didn't have a backup team of mechanics and just filmed May and Hammond looking into the engine bay every now and again?
              possibly but May is a man of many talents (not least being far and away their best driver on track and road; it's not an accident that he got to drive the Veyron at 260 mph...) and Hammond has rebuilt cars and bikes so I suspect both can hold their own with most mechanical repairs.

More to the point both May (look up why he got fired from Autocar...) and Clarkson were both highly respected motoring journalists before Top Gear and all three are expert presenters in their own right. The new team has one of those, but he's buried away on BBC3. I've read the ginger twit's motoring columns and he has zero ability: can you trust the opinion of someone who thinks an MX5 suffers from chronic understeer? LeBlanc is at best a keen amateur. Sabine and the Stig are both pro racing drivers, not presenters.

It is not a surprise that TG is now a well-produced show with zero charisma. A bit like alternative comedy; like normal comedy but without the humour. It may improve but I suspect a lot of people won't wait for that to happen.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                possibly but May is a man of many talents (not least being far and away their best driver on track and road; it's not an accident that he got to drive the Veyron at 260 mph...) and Hammond has rebuilt cars and bikes so I suspect both can hold their own with most mechanical repairs.

More to the point both May (look up why he got fired from Autocar...) and Clarkson were both highly respected motoring journalists before Top Gear and all three are expert presenters in their own right. The new team has one of those, but he's buried away on BBC3. I've read the ginger twit's motoring columns and he has zero ability: can you trust the opinion of someone who thinks an MX5 suffers from chronic understeer? LeBlanc is at best a keen amateur. Sabine and the Stig are both pro racing drivers, not presenters.

It is not a surprise that TG is now a well-produced show with zero charisma. A bit like alternative comedy; like normal comedy but without the humour. It may improve but I suspect a lot of people won't wait for that to happen.
                I think you've nailed it with this one.

Comment

I wasn't suggesting they're clueless, just that the impression given that it was them alone fixing the cars at the side of the road isn't accurate.

NAT's probably right: Chris Evans isn't really a car person beyond spending his money on them; Matt LeBlanc we don't really know about, but it's hard to imagine him getting his hands dirty. But that was never really what Top Gear was about. If you want to see that watch Wheeler Dealers.

I think most petrol-heads are going to be disappointed not to see Chris Harris playing a much bigger role.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    I think most petrol-heads are going to be disappointed not to see Chris Harris playing a much bigger role.
                    TG is for petrol heads what the apprentice is to MBAs.

Comment

TG is (was?) a big revenue stream for the BBC.
                      If its brand is tarnished by Chris Evans then surely he won't last for long.
                      It must be a man thing but I have always found him irritating but perhaps that is just me.

You do have to wonder with all the people out there to choose from even including those that ran a mile why they chose a yank actor as co-host.

I had hoped they would have got Chris Harris, maybe later.
                      Other than that it was the same childish format as before - perhaps a bit cheaper though, plastic pigs for goodness sake! And that comes from someone that taught himself to drive in a purple 330 van!

I thought the Mini motocross replacement for the star in a car section came across as slow it certainly looked slow
                      The Viper did well around the track with Stig or Stigette (Sabine?) at the controls.
                      I do think for comparison they should have taken the wing off and done a lap with Evans Indian restaurant mates sat on top instead.

Will I continue to watch it, probably, will I watch the Amazon version with the the old crew, yep once I can find it online to download.
                      Last edited by DallasDad; 30 May 2016, 19:41.
                      So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Working...
                      X