Posts 11 to 20 of 67

Contractor Among Contractors

Archangel is too good to be a permie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Black View Post
    Didn't bother.. sounds like I didn't miss much.

Ditch the yanks and I'm prepared to give it go but suspect that won't happen due to greedy marketing execs..
    The yank was the best part of it!

I actually quite enjoyed most of it, as much as the last few series with the old presenters anyway

TripleIronDad

BrilloPad is always on top

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
    Wasn't as bad I thought it would be TBH. But then it was only the first episode
    This. I expected it to be awful. But it was better than okay.

I think it will grow on me.
    I'm single now, and it's really weird for me to be dating again because, for the last three years, I've just been cheating.

Lord of the Vectras

VectraMan - scorchio!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All they did was do exactly the same as the old Top Gear but with different presenters. But it was okay. LeBlanc was a bit wooden, and Chris Evans is Chris Evans, but on the whole I enjoyed it.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Lord of the Vectras

VectraMan - scorchio!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I wonder whether LeBlanc or Evans could actually fix a broken down vehicle - like May or Hammond evidently can? (Of course Clarkson would just find a hammer to hit it with).
    You think on those road trips they didn't have a backup team of mechanics and just filmed May and Hammond looking into the engine bay every now and again?

Respect my authoritah!

NotAllThere is a fount of knowledge

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Of course they have a backup team. However, I'm fairly sure that May has some engineering skill, and Hammond certainly gives a good impression that he does.
    --drunk on abuse of power--

Double Godlike!

malvolio is NOT a disguised employee

Walking in the garden, dreaming of Olivia...
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by VectraMan View Post
    You think on those road trips they didn't have a backup team of mechanics and just filmed May and Hammond looking into the engine bay every now and again?
    possibly but May is a man of many talents (not least being far and away their best driver on track and road; it's not an accident that he got to drive the Veyron at 260 mph...) and Hammond has rebuilt cars and bikes so I suspect both can hold their own with most mechanical repairs.

More to the point both May (look up why he got fired from Autocar...) and Clarkson were both highly respected motoring journalists before Top Gear and all three are expert presenters in their own right. The new team has one of those, but he's buried away on BBC3. I've read the ginger twit's motoring columns and he has zero ability: can you trust the opinion of someone who thinks an MX5 suffers from chronic understeer? LeBlanc is at best a keen amateur. Sabine and the Stig are both pro racing drivers, not presenters.

It is not a surprise that TG is now a well-produced show with zero charisma. A bit like alternative comedy; like normal comedy but without the humour. It may improve but I suspect a lot of people won't wait for that to happen.
    Blog? What blog...?

Richer than sasguru

DimPrawn is a fount of knowledge

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by malvolio View Post
    possibly but May is a man of many talents (not least being far and away their best driver on track and road; it's not an accident that he got to drive the Veyron at 260 mph...) and Hammond has rebuilt cars and bikes so I suspect both can hold their own with most mechanical repairs.

More to the point both May (look up why he got fired from Autocar...) and Clarkson were both highly respected motoring journalists before Top Gear and all three are expert presenters in their own right. The new team has one of those, but he's buried away on BBC3. I've read the ginger twit's motoring columns and he has zero ability: can you trust the opinion of someone who thinks an MX5 suffers from chronic understeer? LeBlanc is at best a keen amateur. Sabine and the Stig are both pro racing drivers, not presenters.

It is not a surprise that TG is now a well-produced show with zero charisma. A bit like alternative comedy; like normal comedy but without the humour. It may improve but I suspect a lot of people won't wait for that to happen.
    I think you've nailed it with this one.
    If you look really hard, really really hard, you will find Doom™ everywhere.

Lord of the Vectras

VectraMan - scorchio!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wasn't suggesting they're clueless, just that the impression given that it was them alone fixing the cars at the side of the road isn't accurate.

NAT's probably right: Chris Evans isn't really a car person beyond spending his money on them; Matt LeBlanc we don't really know about, but it's hard to imagine him getting his hands dirty. But that was never really what Top Gear was about. If you want to see that watch Wheeler Dealers.

I think most petrol-heads are going to be disappointed not to see Chris Harris playing a much bigger role.

TripleIronDad

BrilloPad is always on top

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by VectraMan View Post
    I think most petrol-heads are going to be disappointed not to see Chris Harris playing a much bigger role.
    TG is for petrol heads what the apprentice is to MBAs.
    I'm single now, and it's really weird for me to be dating again because, for the last three years, I've just been cheating.

More time posting than coding

DallasDad is a permanent contractor

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

TG is (was?) a big revenue stream for the BBC.
    If its brand is tarnished by Chris Evans then surely he won't last for long.
    It must be a man thing but I have always found him irritating but perhaps that is just me.

You do have to wonder with all the people out there to choose from even including those that ran a mile why they chose a yank actor as co-host.

I had hoped they would have got Chris Harris, maybe later.
    Other than that it was the same childish format as before - perhaps a bit cheaper though, plastic pigs for goodness sake! And that comes from someone that taught himself to drive in a purple 330 van!

I thought the Mini motocross replacement for the star in a car section came across as slow it certainly looked slow
    The Viper did well around the track with Stig or Stigette (Sabine?) at the controls.
    I do think for comparison they should have taken the wing off and done a lap with Evans Indian restaurant mates sat on top instead.

Will I continue to watch it, probably, will I watch the Amazon version with the the old crew, yep once I can find it online to download.
    Last edited by DallasDad; 30th May 2016 at 19:41.
    So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast