• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EU Referendum: Do we enough information to take the correct decision?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EU still funds bull fighting, despite MEPs voting against agricultural subsidies. Another case of Council being undemocratic..

http://www.peta.org.uk/blog/european...s-not-the-end/
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
      EU still funds bull fighting, despite MEPs voting against agricultural subsidies. Another case of Council being undemocratic..

European Council Fails to End Bullfighting Subsidies – but This Is Not the End | PETA UK
      Where in that article does it state 'MEPs voting against agricultural subsidies'?I think you'll find that this one will go through next year:

The Council didn’t reject the amendment on principle but rather on the grounds that the regulations surrounding the Common Agricultural Policy would make it difficult to implement the change.
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

EU Referendum: Do we enough information to take the correct decision?

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        Where in that article does it state 'MEPs voting against agricultural subsidies'?I think you'll find that this one will go through next year:
        Yes voting against agricultural subsidies that are used to fund bill fighting!

In October, 438 out of 687 MEPs in the European Parliament voted in favour of an amendment to the EU budget that would stop more than €100 million in EU agricultural subsidies from going to support bullfights.
        http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

So the Leave lot will continue to want referendums until they get their way:

Farage says he will push for second referendum if Remain wins narrowly

In an interview with the Daily Mirror Nigel Farage, the Ukip leader, has said that if Remain win the EU referendum narrowly, he will push for a second referendum.
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            I disagree.

Fairness is very important, it's ingrained in British character.

Fact is that UK pays a LOT less than Germany, and substantially less than France, even though I'd say all these 3 countries should pay about the same.

UK got a fooking awesome deal in the club, very unfair one, but hey, it got it - might as well keep it.
            Fairness is entirely subjective. As I said it is not about what share we pay it is about the fact that we pay at all and what we are paying for. The point of Brexit is that we do not want to play by the rules of the EU and that we do not have to accept that the EU is the sole functionary of any trade or legal commitments.
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              So the Leave lot will continue to want referendums until they get their way
              There's talk among the Bremainians that any slim majority for Leave could be ignored in the HoC. Ignoring the will of the people. Nice. I suppose it's consistent with EU democracy-light.

Gallantry needed if Tories are to reunite after EU referendum - FT.com

Comment

Originally posted by Milkyway View Post
                You say that, but all I hear from the Leave camp is the immigration aspect only!
                Vote to stay then
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  I find it bizarre that people who leave totalitarian regimes want to move somewhere that is free and once they do they then want to impose a totalitarian state onto the people they have joined. You only have to look at the Muslim enclaves that have grown up in Britain. You can take the man away from communism but you cannot take the communism out of the man.

Comment

I'm an IT contractor, 33 years old and I'm planning to vote out too. Among my peers I'd say it is roughly 50/50 but sadly I'm convinced the vote will come out to stay purely because I do think that all those who aren't motivated enough to make some kind of informed choice will simply say "better the devil I know".

What gets my goat is that NOBODY knows what will happen if we vote leave - let's face it, if we do leave then it will be up to the government and UK companies to make it work as best we can. Yes we'll probably lose out in some areas but it's not as if Cameron et al. can just turn round and say "haha you voted leave look at this tulipty deal we're going to get for you now". It's their job to fight for us and - misguided or not - I believe that we are still strong as a country and people will still trade with us.

The OP is right though, much like in any general election there is a woeful lack of any objective arguments one way or the other (much though each side will say *their* arguments are objective) so I'm equally disbelieving of both sides and just voting on my gut instinct as to what I want for this country long term and I don't feel part of the EU now, I'm English not European.

Comment

Why we're backing Brexit - MoneyWeek

Comment

Working...
                      X