• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a house next to busy road

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    It would be a living hell. I'd budget another £1m on top of the £550K for something approaching liveable.

10 Pack £0.99

Ear Plugs - Toolstation

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
      I am having similar concerns about a house that has mainline train tracks running behind the back garden. Again, a really good house - for BTL - in many ways: it's big, will make a great HMO and is less than 10 minutes walk to station (trains to London take 20 minutes) and town.

I wonder if triple-glazed windows might make a difference.

If I was buying for myself/family to live in then I wouldn't even consider it, but as a multi-let it seems good.
      I live with a train track at the back. I was worried about noise but its a none issue. About three or four trains rocket past every hour but they are gone almost as soon as they have arrived its hardly an issue.

I would be more concerned about a main road than train tracks. The road will be constant noise. Our first house was a tulipty terrace in a northern town on a main road. Busses, lorries, cars and parking was a nightmare.

Trains are brief and sudden if going at speed.

The bonus is the back garden isn't really overlooked and distance between us and the back neighbours creates real space which is nice.. It doesn't wake you at night either. Standard double glazing is all you need.

The kids love the trains going past as well.
      Last edited by dx4100; 3 May 2016, 14:07.

Comment

Got a cat - it'll be flat as a pancake in a week.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

If you do go to try and listen to the noise, do it late at night as what you hear then will be the sounds that keep you awake. It can be quite deceiving to try to hear the volume during the day as it will be masked by the general noise levels.
          England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
            I prefer a cave in the middle of a natural park.
            Best place for you

HTH
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Only you know what your tolerance for Noise is.

We brought a house that faces an A road a few years ago, in our case there are trees in the front that block of the same of the noise, when you out in the Garden at the back you hardly hear anything. I've got no regrets at all, we got if for a very good price compared to similar size properties in the area, due to the 'Motorway discount' and we are not looking to move for a very long time. The area ticks all the boxes we were looking for in terms of schools, transport links...etc.
              At the end of day you've got to ask yourself what compromises you can live with what ones you can't

Comment

Also, if you viewed the place on a nice sunny day, don't forget that traffic is much louder when the road is wet, i.e. that swishy noise of tyres on water.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Ultitmately though you could buy a house anywhere and discover two days after moving in that some twat has a motorbike and likes to fire up and rev it for no understandable reason just as you are putting the kids to bed every night.

My next house isn't having a neighbour in a 2 mile radius. Guess I am moving to Scotland or Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by vik845 View Post
                    Suggestions on buying a house that is on an "A" road separated by a slip road and green. So the house is about 10-15 feet away from the main (busy) A road (with the slip road and be green in between the house and the " A" road)
                    I'm having trouble picturing this, because surely the slip road must be a good fifteen feet wide, or not far short, which leaves a thin sliver of green about an inch wide!

Would you be able to post a link to the place on Zoopla or Rightmove etc? I doubt if anyone here will try and nip in before you.

Also, in relation to the house itself, is there any chance of essentially turning it round, so that access to it and the front door is round the back, and for every day entry and exit and general outlook you sort of pretty much forsake the road-facing side entirely and perhaps plant a large hedge all along the road frontage? That might work, and reduce the traffic noise etc.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I used to rent a flat on a busy London high street. The traffic noise was generally ok until you opened a window. However there were traffic lights outside the flat and the screetch of bus brakes was unbearable.

If your not going to be able to sleep at night then I would find another property no matter how much you like it.

Comment

Working...
                      X