• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are low-ranking universities bad for our children?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, bad, lazy, feckless students are bad for our children.

Worse thing that happened to FE was when Tony Blair said he wanted 50% of people to go to Uni, why! Not everyone needs a degree, and most of the crap degrees are next to useless (Media Studies etc) especially given now most jobs start as unpaid interns.

Focus more on apprenticeships and the world will be a better place
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      imo frist and foremost you attend university to study a subject you're passionate about. 2nd you're qualification provides skills in demand. Not just the UK but the world over.
      About 20+ years ago I'd have agreed with you. How can you know you're going to be passionate about a subject until you get there. I think many went to University on any course they could get on. Now I think you'd have to be more business like about not only the institution but the course itself - in some ways that's not necessarily a bad thing.

IMO higher education has been used as a way to massage unemployment statistics for far too long.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        Worse thing that happened to FE was when Tony Blair said he wanted 50% of people to go to Uni, why!
        I never understood the rationale for that although I remember reading that 'it would produce a more highly skilled workforce' as if attending university magically makes the population more intelligent.

Comment

No, bad, lazy, feckless students are bad for our children.

Worse thing that happened to FE was when Tony Blair said he wanted 50% of people to go to Uni, why! Not everyone needs a degree, and most of the crap degrees are next to useless (Media Studies etc) especially given now most jobs start as unpaid interns.

To be a Barista, do you need a degree or an apprenticeship?

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
            About 20+ years ago I'd have agreed with you. How can you know you're going to be passionate about a subject until you get there. I think many went to University on any course they could get on. Now I think you'd have to be more business like about not only the institution but the course itself - in some ways that's not necessarily a bad thing.

IMO higher education has been used as a way to massage unemployment statistics for far too long.
            Isn't that what your guidance teacher is for? Tuning into your strengths/interests and focusing them in a particular direction? An expectation of any good school I should hope.

I never had a doubt my future would involve studying some form of electronics.

My bedroom at 13 years of age...

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

My thoughts entirely, Simon bolstered by the fact I did a four year indentured apprenticeship at what was then Marconi Elliot but today I sadly feel an Apprenticeship has become a bit of a substitute term for cheap labour

Have you looked at some of the roles offered by the national apprenticeship scheme lately?
              The money is well just plain silly barely more than JSA so hardly an incentive.

At least when I did mine I was paid enough to fuel my moped, pay my keep and have a bit of a social life...
              £15.10 to be precise - 75p per week for my tools

I am actually glad Son number 2 is off to Salford this autumn even though it will mean a degree (pun) of debt.
              So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Isn't that what your guidance teacher is for? Tuning into your strengths/interests and focusing them in a particular direction? An expectation of any good school I should hope.

I never had a doubt my future would involve studying some form of electronics.
                That's fine when you know what you want to do but it isn't so clear cut for everyone. I stand by my point that kids (or even parents) can no longer afford the luxury (unless they're seriously wealthy) of just going to study something because it interests them hence why other comments on this thread about apprenticeships are so valid.

Although I don't really know anyone in academia anymore, I would imagine research is now very much the same unless you're very lucky; research for the sheer sake (or blue skies research) of it is probably becoming a thing of the past as bean counters probably want to know how the research can be monetised in one way or another.

Comment

Sounds defeatist. I mean that in a nice way. I say that also for my own sake. Knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. Some of the clients I work for today involves research on some of the most exciting projects I'm just glad to be a part of them.

I still don't know what I want to do with my life. I rather hope I never do.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Sounds defeatist. I mean that in a nice way. I say that also for my own sake. Knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. Some of the clients I work for today involves research on some of the most exciting projects I'm just glad to be a part of them.

I still don't know what I want to do with my life. I rather hope I never do.
                    I don't know either, but I've discovered working as a permie isn't it

Comment

Originally posted by DallasDad View Post
                      Have you looked at some of the roles offered by the national apprenticeship scheme lately?
                      The money is well just plain silly barely more than JSA so hardly an incentive.
                      Dunno about the money side, but child#2 did fashion design at university. It's what she was passionate about and what she wanted to do.

In the old days, she would probably have done a diploma at a poly, but now it's a degree or don't bother.

She now has 40K+ of 'student loan' and is working 3 days a week unpaid as a graduate intern - ATM, not even her travel expenses are paid, so it's costing £100+ a week.

An apprenticeship would have been far, far better.

Comment

Working...
                      X