• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Generation spent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Generation Spent: ‘Forget pensions - I'm glad I blew my savings on a trip to Las Vegas’

And who can blame her? Boomers are selfish

This will become increasingly common.
    I'm managing both quite well thanks. And the girl in the article is only 24, let her mature.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Seems like she has her head on right. This idea of sacrificing your prime years because it's "prudent" is a bunch of sh*t. Money ain't no good unless you spend it. I've got some savings but that isn't the driving force of my life. I've done pretty well cruising through life thus far; can't see any reason to change as long as I'm meeting my obligations.

If I end up on poor and on welfare after I retire so be it; I'm not blowing my remaining active years on the promise of a future I may not live to see. My grandfather dropped dead a year before retirement, so I figure if I live past age 65, I'm exceeding expectations.

People who get angry about how other people live their lives need to get a hobby or something. You want to work hard and be thrifty, that's fine, just don't expect a medal for it - you certainly won't get one from me.

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
        Seems like she has her head on right. This idea of sacrificing your prime years because it's "prudent" is a bunch of sh*t. Money ain't no good unless you spend it. I've got some savings but that isn't the driving force of my life. I've done pretty well cruising through life thus far; can't see any reason to change as long as I'm meeting my obligations.

If I end up on poor and on welfare after I retire so be it; I'm not blowing my remaining active years on the promise of a future I may not live to see. My grandfather dropped dead a year before retirement, so I figure if I live past age 65, I'm exceeding expectations.

People who get angry about how other people live their lives need to get a hobby or something. You want to work hard and be thrifty, that's fine, just don't expect a medal for it - you certainly won't get one from me.
        Cemetry is full of prudent savers who never went anywhere and never really did anything.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          Cemetry is full of prudent savers who never went anywhere and never really did anything.
          Could be worse still though, my great uncle slipped in the bath a week before retirement and spent his remaining years as a quadriplegic with his wife as primary carer instead of going off on international holidays as planned. Life is too short and unpredictable to waste on "someday."

Comment

Could be worse still though, my great uncle slipped in the bath a week before retirement and spent his remaining years as a quadriplegic with his wife as primary carer instead of going off on international holidays as planned. Life is too short and unpredictable to waste on "someday."
            Those police officers who work 18hrs a day (with overtime) in the year before retirement to double their salary, then take retirement at 50 on full final salary pension, then move to Cyprus, where pensions are taxed at flat rate of 5%, are the smartest cookies.

Comment

His poor wife.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

If I end up on poor and on welfare after I retire so be it;

But you want the prudent people to pay for you in that case?
                Have you tried switching it off and back on again??

Comment

Damned if you do damned if you don't

Save live frugal do f all and scrap a modest house deposit together.

Spend it and rent it and work till you drop.

And applicable in both cases, watch the early retiring golden pensioned boomer twats wallow in greedy pie.
                  http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                    And applicable in both cases, watch the early retiring golden pensioned boomer twats wallow in greedy pie.
                    Majority of the golden pensioner crowd were public sector. Police especially. Go to Spain or Cyprus and trip over thousands of them in their early fifties on the best golf courses and sitting in the best eateries laughing at the youngsters in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                      Majority of the golden pensioner crowd were public sector. Police especially. Go to Spain or Cyprus and trip over thousands of them in their early fifties on the best golf courses and sitting in the best eateries laughing at the youngsters in the UK.
                      Well bully for them.
                      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Working...
                      X