• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Channel tunnel to close on Brexit?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
    REMAIN are making all the running.

LEAVE are divided and have no coherent answer to many questions. Bit like the Scottish referendum in that sense.

I have asked a dozen people IRL in the course of the week. Everyone is a "REMAIN", with one exception, and that is a Brit I know who lives in Germany - he was a "Might be tempted to vote leave if I still lived in the UK".

Only 4 months to go .... yawn.
    That's funny I asked 13 people and they all said Leave. Mainly because they don't buy into Project Fear and don't like the idea of ever closer union with the EU in its current format.
    Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
      This entire internal Tory squabble is a bit dull. It's a shame the Tories got to form a government so now it's something the entire country has to pay attention to. The referendum cannot come and go soon enough. Maybe after losing the sceptics will all eff off to Australia or something...
      I'd prefer to stay in the UK thanks Perhaps you should have a jolly to the South East to get a feel of what has upset people? Or some of the Northern towns, or East Anglian coastal towns for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
        If it's so bad why are 600k plus people coming here every year.
        600k people come here every year? Got any evidence for that?
        Because the problem is when you make numbers up, the rest of your argument loses any credibility even if it is valid.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
          I'd prefer to stay in the UK thanks Perhaps you should have a jolly to the South East to get a feel of what has upset people? Or some of the Northern towns, or East Anglian coastal towns for that matter.
          No thanks, I get enough of that from this board. Surprising how peaceful it is up here. If I was to believe half of the posters here I'd have to think there was rioting happening in England on a weekly basis.

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
            This entire internal Tory squabble is a bit dull. It's a shame the Tories got to form a government so now it's something the entire country has to pay attention to. The referendum cannot come and go soon enough. Maybe after losing the sceptics will all eff off to Australia or something...
            According to your profile, you're one of them.

Hope springs eternal

Comment

The French migrants issue on the French border near the French coast on French soil is a ******* French problem. End of.
              http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                Because the problem is when you make numbers up, the rest of your argument loses any credibility even if it is valid.
                Government accused of cover-up as data suggests million EU migrants unaccounted for in Britain - Telegraph

Official data from the Office of National Statistics shows that around 760,000 EU migrants have settled in the UK in the last four years.
                Those figures come from the International Passenger Survey which sees face-to-face interviews with people flying into Britain. Another survey of Britain's Labour force suggests a slightly lower figure of around 525,000.
                However, a recent spike in the number of EU migrants being given National Insurance numbers has seen experts raise questions of the accuracy of that data.
                A total of almost two million EU migrants have been allocated national insurance numbers in the last four years – far higher than the 760,000 counted into Britain via surveys.
                Although a significant number of those people may have left the country, the Government was asked in a Freedom of Information request to release data it has on how many of those two million National Insurance numbers are “active”, in order to give a much more accurate picture of how many migrants are currently living in the UK.

Foreign worker numbers soar as Romanians registering in Britain triple in just one year - Telegraph

The number of immigrants who came to work in Britain last year reached a record high of more than 800,000 as the number of Romanians coming here tripled in just 12 months.

Quite

He should get his bloody facts right
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
                  That's funny I asked 13 people and they all said Leave. Mainly because they don't buy into Project Fear and don't like the idea of ever closer union with the EU in its current format.
                  My impression is most people want Leave, but when you push them as to why it's only really about immigration and then it's usually about non-EU immigration (e.g. "Muslim rapists"). But it does seem there are a large number of people actually willing to think about it and that's encouraging. A lot of it comes down to emotional arguments about sovereignty and undeserving foreigners using "our" NHS vs. common sense but ultimately less interesting arguments about economics and free trade.

It's going to be close. I think it'll turn out like Scotland: nobody was worried too much until it started to look like the emotional hot-heads were in danger of winning and then it got serious; the cooler heads turned out to vote en masse and ultimately prevailed.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    yeah he was 5% low I can see how that would lose him all credibility with a cretin like you.

Migration Statistics Quarterly Report - Office for National Statistics

Immigration = 636,000 (up 84,000), in the year ending (YE) March 2015.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Scrap all ******* benefits - and go to cashless electronic currency. See who ******* comes then.
                      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Working...
                      X