• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why I'll be voting to stay in Europe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Yes we can print money, devaluing it and become a banana republic on the edge of Europe.
    Given the UK's basic lack of discipline over the years, that seems an inevitable outcome anyway.
    The countries of the Euro are being squeezed and it's an interesting experiment to see what sort of effect the discipline that Germany is now belatedly imposing (maybe too late) will have.
    I think you're being slightly over excitable. You give the impression that the UK would turn into some third world hole and remain there. I think it's a fair bet that the Euro might be in trouble before Sterling.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      If the UK pulls out of the EU it will be in the same situation as any other non-EU country that doesn't have separate treaties with the EU. The laws allowing EU citizens to live and work within Britain will be in abeyance.

I assume some provision will be made and an agreement reach with the EU for people already resident in the UK, but I don't see any reason why immigration from the EU would continue, nor why freedom of movement to/from the EU and the UK should continue.
      Won't we part of the EEA?

So like Iceland etc you can move and live in the rest of Europe as long as you have a job or appropriate funds.

In turn other EU citizens can still come here as long as they have a job or appropriate funds.

In short it will make no fecking difference as the Home Office can't get rid of illegal immigrants from Commonwealth countries so won't be able to get rid of the Romanian beggars.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
        I think you're being slightly over excitable. You give the impression that the UK would turn into some third world hole and remain there. I think it's a fair bet that the Euro might be in trouble before Sterling.
        Why on earth has the Pound fallen massively against the Euro on threat of Brexit in the last few weeks then?
        It's because the markets realise that with Germany backing it, the Euro is a better bet and also they realise the fundamental weakness of the UK economy.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

So like Iceland etc you can move and live in the rest of Europe as long as you have a job or appropriate funds.

In turn other EU citizens can still come here as long as they have a job or appropriate funds.

In short it will make no fecking difference as the Home Office can't get rid of illegal immigrants from Commonwealth countries so won't be able to get rid of the Romanian beggars.

Don't worry after redux of eastern european girls, english men wilk be begging to join back in 5 years or so.
          Last edited by 2uk; 1 March 2016, 11:14.

Comment

Originally posted by 2uk View Post
            Don't worry after redux of eastern european girls, english men wilk be begging to join back in 5 years or so.
            LOL, you kill me.
            So, you only appreciate the good looks of Eastern Europeans, you are very short sighted, my friend
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
              The UK sits exactly in between France (better than UK) and Italy (worse than UK) debt wise as %of GDP
              Not quite, both the UK and France have debts at about 90% of GDP, Italy has debts of over 126%.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gove...ebt#By_country

Whilst I realise the data is a couple of years old, the deficits in France and the U.K. have been similar, so the overall amounts will be similar.
              "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Why on earth has the Pound fallen massively against the Euro on threat of Brexit in the last few weeks then?
                It's because the markets realise that with Germany backing it, the Euro is a better bet and also they realise the fundamental weakness of the UK economy.
                Markets don't like uncertainty, I agree that after Brexit there will be done turmoil, but it will soon settle down when everyone realises the sun still rises every morning and Britain goes from strength to strength.
                "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

It's not as if Sterling has gone through the floor. We're about mid-range on a ten year chart and higher than 2009-2014 range:

GBP/EUR 10 Year Chart

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
                    Not quite, both the UK and France have debts at about 90% of GDP, Italy has debts of over 126%.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gove...ebt#By_country

Whilst I realise the data is a couple of years old, the deficits in France and the U.K. have been similar, so the overall amounts will be similar.
                    That's just national debt as % of GDP.,
                    Uk's total debt drags it down to 107th out of 144 countries in terms of macroeconomic dev.

UK economy now ninth best, says World Economic Forum

"Britain's escalating debt pile, already at £1.4 trillion, plus its levels of borrowing – and its 'prohibitive tax rates' – helped leave it sitting at a lowly 107th out of the 144 nations in terms of macroeconomic environment"

I can't help thinking this growing debt pile will jump up and bite us in the ass at some point.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Iceland Switzerland and Norway are in the Schengen area so there are no immigration or passport controls at all. You certainly don't need a job or appropriate funds, you are free to go and settle.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X