• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why I'll be voting to stay in Europe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    The UK sits exactly in between France (better than UK) and Italy (worse than UK) debt wise as %of GDP
    Shhhh, you're ruining dreams of sovereignty here!

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
      How exactly? We have our own currency still. That gives you room for manoeuvre.

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
        What like the ones the Scottish have
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
          How exactly? We have our own currency still. That gives you room for manoeuvre.
          Yes we can print money, devaluing it and become a banana republic on the edge of Europe.
          Given the UK's basic lack of discipline over the years, that seems an inevitable outcome anyway.
          The countries of the Euro are being squeezed and it's an interesting experiment to see what sort of effect the discipline that Germany is now belatedly imposing (maybe too late) will have.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Not sure what your point is - are you saying that the UK would be less connected and therefore wouldn't get the EU immigrants? Both points seem unlikely to me.
            If the UK pulls out of the EU it will be in the same situation as any other non-EU country that doesn't have separate treaties with the EU. The laws allowing EU citizens to live and work within Britain will be in abeyance.

I assume some provision will be made and an agreement reach with the EU for people already resident in the UK, but I don't see any reason why immigration from the EU would continue, nor why freedom of movement to/from the EU and the UK should continue.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              what sort of effect the discipline that Germany is now belatedly imposing (maybe too late) will have.
              You mean like this?

Greece's economic crisis goes on, like an odyssey without end | Business | The Guardian

Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Oh, and there's Italy too.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  If the UK pulls out of the EU it will be in the same situation as any other non-EU country that doesn't have separate treaties with the EU. The laws allowing EU citizens to live and work within Britain will be in abeyance.

I assume some provision will be made and an agreement reach with the EU for people already resident in the UK, but I don't see any reason why immigration from the EU would continue, nor why freedom of movement to/from the EU and the UK should continue.
                  If so, I doubt multinationals will find all the talent they require in the UK, so relocation to the wider labour pool of Europe would make sense.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Greece is a special case that should never have been allowed into Europe anyway.
                    A genuine Balkan banana republic.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                      Oh, and there's Italy too.
                      Italy is a funny one, has some very sound parts of its economy, actually exports more than the UK.
                      Could be very viable with a bit of political strength.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ies_by_exports
                      Last edited by sasguru; 1 March 2016, 11:11.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X