• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why I'll be voting to stay in Europe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Whether it is true or not would require some reading - which to be fair won't happen on CUK general as we prefer to make judgements based on our prejudices than make informed arguments.
    Aye you only have to read LondonManc's post to see that
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Aye you only have to read LondonManc's post to see that
      Ah, yes, sasguru. Confusing differing opinions with prejudice for so long. What a shirt front (I'm getting the hang of this rhyming slang stuff).
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        Ah, yes, sasguru. Confusing differing opinions with prejudice for so long. What a shirt front (I'm getting the hang of this rhyming slang stuff).
        Not really. I've demolished your obviously prejudiced nonsense with the cold light of fact and reason
        HTH, BIDI.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

The last time UK civil servants negotiated a trade deal was over 40 years ago. Could be interesting watching how we simply "hand over" to the civil servants to handle this.

Can Britain's bureaucracy handle a Brexit? | Public Leaders Network | The Guardian

Of course if Scotland wants to leave the UK this might make it even more of a challenge
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            The last time UK civil servants negotiated a trade deal was over 40 years ago. Could be interesting watching how we simply "hand over" to the civil servants to handle this.

Can Britain's bureaucracy handle a Brexit? | Public Leaders Network | The Guardian

Of course if Scotland wants to leave the UK this might make it even more of a challenge
            Given the pathetic amount "negotiated" from Google, I'm not sure I'd expect much.
            Feck me, Google's brass must have laughed their heads off.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

...remember you are also most likely voting for the dismemberment of the UK, since Scotland wants to throw in its lot with the EU.
              Regardless of whether you think that's a good thing or not, the reality is you are voting for England and Wales to leave the EU
              And since quite a lot of England and Wales is economically unviable, the rump of the productive state would be London and the South East.
              That really would be the end of this country as a world player, not that that is necessarily a bad thing.
              so we get rid of another 2 countries filled with heavy NHS & welfare users and you see this as a problem?
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                so we get rid of another 2 countries filled with heavy NHS & welfare users and you see this as a problem?
                Probably not. It's just England (the rump state) will stop being very important in terms of population/economy/power, apart from being the hinterland of London. Like I said - may not be a bad thing if we don't get involved in silly wars in partnership with the US etc etc.
                Maybe being a small neutral Swiss like state would be a good thing.
                I would tighten up benefits so all the chavs buggered off to Scotland.
                Immigrants would have to pay 1000 per month for health insurance like in Switzerland.
                Hmmm I'm beginning to see possibilities here.
                Last edited by sasguru; 1 March 2016, 14:13.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Yes it's funny watching the lefties squirm on this topic.
                  On the one hand they've always supported the "brotherhood-of-man" aspect of the EU project, on the other they cannot possibly support the idea that countries should be competitive and live within their means and can't bring themselves to blame Greece for splurging cheap Euro money on pensions at 50, 13th month wages and a host of useless infrastructure projects.
                  Because of course austerity is always bad and you can print money as you like.
                  So they're torn. Makes me
                  which EU countries "live within their means"
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

If so, I doubt multinationals will find all the talent they require in the UK, so relocation to the wider labour pool of Europe would make sense.
                    This is true - but the main objection to immigration from the EU is Eastern Europeans fetching up on the UK shores, looking for a job and subsisting on benefits in the meantime. A Brexit will bring an end to that - which is probably the biggest component of immigration.

Therefore it seems obvious to me that Brexit will mean fewer immigrants, and your argument on that point - saying it won't make a difference - is not correct.

I will, however, be voting to stay in Europe.

Health insurance in Switzerland is ~£200 a month.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Health insurance in Switzerland is ~£200 a month.
                      That looks incredibly cheap compared to the UK.
                      20% of UK tax paid gets spent on 'Health' (do your own sums), this is is slightly behind the 25% spent on 'Welfare' (not pensions).

Comment

Working...
                      X